The Amazon Ogre

I had just read about Walmart doing this! Including putting groceries in your fridge :eek:
Who would be okay with this? I like the idea of a smart lock you can change codes to let people in- with a camera so you see them on your phone- but strangers? Never :mad:
I would think people who spend enough to consider such a thing could as easily have a small shed for the same purpose

Jim Hightower: Scamazon—the Online Retail Giant Is One Big Swindle

Surely no self-respecting civic official would willingly play the sucker in such a demeaning, sell-out-the-public scam.

Ha! Officials from 238 cities, regions, and states have so far rushed to Bezos' corporate castle to grovel, dance, beg, and stage dog-and-pony spectacles in the perverse hope that Amazon might choose their taxpayers to rip off.

• Tucson showed its love by shipping Amazon's prickly CEO a 21-foot Saguaro cactus.
  • New York City lit up the Empire State Building and other iconic landmarks in Amazon orange.
  • Seattle, already a company town, pleaded with His Majesty Bezos to locate HQ2 adjacent to HQ1.
  • Stonecrest, Georgia, voted to annex 35 acres to create a new city to be named—yes—Amazon.

:dismay:

Like you, I keep track, and do a lot of comparison shopping.
The other thing I find invaluable is the reviews on Amazon. I check those even when I buy locally.
I don't like buying from big multinational shops but there are so many things I can only get from Amazon when I am in Spain (unless I hop on to a plane to Madrid). Kindle is my first port of call for new books in English. I would have to get a plane to London to get most of the books I get from Kindle.

I don't like buying from big multinational shops but there are so many things I can only get from Amazon when I am in Spain (unless I hop on to a plane to Madrid). Kindle is my first port of call for new books in English. I would have to get a plane to London to get most of the books I get from Kindle.

Same here. Most products are far cheaper (especially on the co.uk site) than over here. Moreover, their CS is excellent and delivery is always guaranteed.

Oh wahhhhhh... In that very article it states the average way is $12.60 an hour - and they say barely above the poverty line- in Ohio- $26208.???? Uh, no that's like double the poverty level for a family of 5!
I've known people who have worked as amazons warehouses in packing and shipping. Not one complained about it, other than being on their feet all day, which is how warehouse jobs are ....
A new coworker came from amazons facility in Arizona and while she's happy she has a bench job she misses the pay...

Is it just because of their size and tax breaks that they get all your grief?
I've had some pretty awful jobs in my life, amazon doesn't sound like it comes close.

Oh wahhhhhh... In that very article it states the average way is $12.60 an hour - and they say barely above the poverty line- in Ohio- $26208.???? Uh, no that's like double the poverty level for a family of 5!
I've known people who have worked as amazons warehouses in packing and shipping. Not one complained about it, other than being on their feet all day, which is how warehouse jobs are ....
A new coworker came from amazons facility in Arizona and while she's happy she has a bench job she misses the pay...

Is it just because of their size and tax breaks that they get all your grief?
I've had some pretty awful jobs in my life, amazon doesn't sound like it comes close.
All I did was post a link to an article.... you could have just ignored it if this stuff makes you feel that defensive.

When an entire is made to specifically call out a company as evil it seems fair to post opposing remarks. I understand amazon isn't exactly an ethical company, I also understand it has an awful lot of company. I'm simply more likely to support amazons shortcoming because they also provide people like myself better pricing and services when needed.
I also buy cat food and litter online at a company that was bought out by Petsmart.
What's your alternative? Buying everything from the local small business for 10 times the price?

When an entire is made to specifically call out a company as evil it seems fair to post opposing remarks. I understand amazon isn't exactly an ethical company, I also understand it has an awful lot of company. I'm simply more likely to support amazons shortcoming because they also provide people like myself better pricing and services when needed.
I also buy cat food and litter online at a company that was bought out by Petsmart.
What's your alternative? Buying everything from the local small business for 10 times the price?
To each his/her own. ;) You have your preferences, I have mine... and I don't need to defend my shopping preferences (of all things) to anyone.