The 6 Creepiest Lies The Food Industry Is Feeding You

:confused: are these really true? In the US or everywhere?

:confused: are these really true? In the US or everywhere?

They link to their sources in the actual article. I'm not sure how widespread they all are, but I would imagine that most cheap and processed foods use similar methods to cut costs - poor cuts and scraps, factory farming, bulking out quality product with cheap crap... It's pretty standard practice everywhere.

They link to their sources in the actual article. I'm not sure how widespread they all are, but I would imagine that most cheap and processed foods use similar methods to cut costs - poor cuts and scraps, factory farming, bulking out quality product with cheap crap... It's pretty standard practice everywhere.

You're right and that is also one of the reasons why I never buy processed food.

Shudder, sorry I missed the links. Gross. Looks like most of them quote british, recent newspaper articles (which actually were interesting to read in themselves). Glad only two of them really affect me!

The soy sauce one is common knowledge really. As is the wasabi one. Real soy sauce isn't much of a problem - Kikkoman is a brewed brand that is widely available. I've never seen real wasabi though. I only see the horseradish-colored-green stuff.

I thought Cracked was just a humor site. But this article seems legit. And it was an interesting read.

I thought Cracked was just a humor site. But this article seems legit. And it was an interesting read.

They do quite a few "real, but amusing" type features. They're usually much funnier than the actual humor pieces.

yeah, i knew that stuff. it's a little disturbing. there was a program ran in the UK in 2008 that exposed some absolutely foul stuff, and went on to become a series called 'Britain's Really Disgusting Food' , that covered this sort of thing, and worse besides. It's pretty graphic (and also very amusing in a sick sort of way, cos it's british, and it's done by a relatively crude comedian, and it's aimed at um... not the usual documentary watching crowd, anyway).

episodes include:

part 1 of meat:

part 1 of dairy:

part 1 of fish:

an article about the series says, amongst other things:

Unlike Mr Spurlock, he engineers products himself in a makeshift laboratory to expose the legal production and labelling tricks used by the food business. In the first show, he demonstrates how it was possible to make a legally saleable chicken kiev with 10 per cent chicken meat and a large amount of breadcrumbs, skin and other animal by-products and, with the help of an industry expert, raised the amount of "meat" on the label to 17 per cent.
He also discovered the secret of a microwaveable lamb shank that lasts for 12 months out of the fridge being sold by a cash-and-carry outlet promoted by Gordon Ramsay. The foul-mouthed chef, who in an episode of Kitchen Nightmares described the meal as "**** in a bag", later explained he no longer endorsed the company.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/m...savoury-truth-of-food-production-1816859.html

Is there something wrong with sunflower oil, or is this more aimed at people who try to get really expensive stuff and actually don't?