Tempeh

Freesia

not my business.
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Ok, so I have never had it but I have seen it at the store. Should I try it? Im a little scared of it, not sure if I would like it or not. What does it taste like, is it like tofu? How is it served?

I bought some the other day because I'm curious and like to taste new foods. It comes in a sausage form and is much dryer than normal tofu. The taste is not overpowering and you can use it for stews and chilis as it doesn't crumble.

I'd say it is OK but quite expensive, however nice for a change.

Ok thanks, guys. I might try it after all : ) .

There is a local sandwich place here that offers tempeh in some of their sandwiches (and will sub it in any of the meat sandwiches by request). That's the only place I've had it. I like it on a sub sandwich with hot pizza sauce.

the stuff I bought recently tasted a little doughy, yeasty.....it's nice fried, and then add some soy sauce at the end of the frying process, and stuck in a sandwich with some cress, and rocket.

I've only bought it a few times.

Some kinds can have a bitter taste so I cut my tempeh into triangles, boil for 10 minutes in water with a glug of tamari soy sauce and a blop of marmite--this gets rid of the bitterness. Then drain and pan fry in a squidge of oil in my non stick pan until both sides are dry and brown then pour over some lovely marinade and let it simmer and reduce.

I love tempeh and prefer it to tofu.

Thanks for the further advice guys. Definitely I will be trying it in a sandwich.

Spidergrrl, I will try that boiling method when I cook it. I cant add marmite to it though as our marmite factory broke into pieces and cant make any more marmite, until the factory is fixed.

You can just add the soy sauce or a stock cube--I like the marmite as it gives it a savoury flavour--kinda "beefy" but the boiling for 10 minutes really helps take away any bitterness and being wet helps it to absorb more marinade.

My husband won't eat marmite straight--it says it tastes like "dingo spunk" but doesn't mind if i cook with it.

Good luck.

Reactions: Freesia
The marmite here is a very dark colour, almost black and it has a deep molasses and yeast extract flavour. Luckily we dont get dingoes here so there is not a problem with dingo spunk : ) , only giant faultlines that move and break our factories into pieces.

I dont have marmite on toast but I use it as a flavouring for gravy which I make for nutloafs etc, so I miss it.

Tempeh in the news.

It saves the most important bit till the end :–) ...
... and while tang can take a while to get acclimated to, ...
The first time I tried Tempeh I thought they added Bitrex™ to it! I couldn't eat it, so I didn't try it again until a friend made some and it worked quite well. I bought some in this week to give it another chance. The solidness and texture keeps me wanting to make it work. I think a heavy soak and marinate is in order along the lines of @Spidergrrl's post.

(And Marmite is not 'dingo spunk' - it's 'badger kak' - and damn tasty it is too!)