Supplements?

Satchitananda

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi everyone,
I am new to veganism, like started transitioning this week, but was a vegetarian for about 13 years. The past 4-5 years I have been mainly a pescatarian since meeting my now wife, but am trying to get back to my roots of a plant based/harmony with earth/spiritual lifestyle and taking it farther than I did in the past. I'm really into fitness and health and so really want to make sure I am getting the nutrients I need. I am trying to get all of my nutrients from whole foods and am getting pretty close to targeted calcium with whole foods alone (got to 900 mg today). For my supplements I am using Naked Nutrition and disclaimer here - I have some left over whey protein that I am still using, but plan to replace it with Naked Nutrition's pea protein once it runs up. I just ordered Organic Atlantic Dulse Flakes to meet my iodine needs without table salt (who wants excess sodium!?) and I also purchased a Vegan Multivitamin from Future Kind that just has vit D3, B12 and omega 3s. I feel like I'll have my protein, calcium, vitamin D, iodine and omegas covered with relatively little supplementation and feel pretty good about the companies I am getting the supplements from. My main question I suppose is do any of you have strong feelings about these supplements and/or companies and also should I be focusing on other types of nutrients that I am not thinking of? I would also just like to point out the bulk of my protein is coming from beans and other whole plants with little meat substitute (tempeh, seitan, and firm tofu) mixed in, but no fake burgers and that stuff. I run and lift weights and so try to hit a target of around 100 g protein a day on a relatively low cal diet (~1600 cals/day) which is why I boost it with the protein powder. I guess other useful stuff since I am asking about nutrition needs is I am a 36 year old male. Thanks for any insight. I've been having a lot of fun playing around with what I currently eat and exploring new veggies to my diet to hit these goals.
Om shanti shanti shanti.
Ian

Hi. I know that B12 is not a very good vitamin for the body you should read about it. But thank you for your story. I'm now taking supplements too as I started going to the gym.

Hi. I know that B12 is not a very good vitamin for the body you should read about it. But thank you for your story. I'm now taking supplements too as I started going to the gym.
Did you mean to say- "B12 is a very much needed supplement, deficiency can cause permanent damage"?

Reactions: David3
I think she's confused about something. I think this happens when you read the information on the Internet somewhere and don't go to a doctor for help. But I decided to choose supplements from https://skinnyyoked.com/bodybuilding-supplements/tru-niagen-review/ because they were recommended to me by my friend who has been in the gym for a long time and understands which supplements are good and which are not. I hope that with the help of training, I will quickly lose weight, cause I wanna wear beautiful dresses, and generally love myself.

In my opinion, generally, and I emphasize generally, most individuals, Vegan or otherwise, should take supplements. I believe, and per my naturopath doctor, a lot of people do not eat a diet which gives them the balanced levels of nutrients the body needs.

When I asked my naturopath doctor, "through comprehensive blood tests, have you seen people who are within range of all the specified nutritional bodily requirements and did not take supplements?" He said yes, but it was rare.

I take a few supplements to help boost my overall health i.e. spirulina, chlorella, b12, multi-vitamin, probiotic, omega 3, Naked mass protein.

A comprehensive blood test will be very informative in knowing what areas you possibly need to supplement. Find a good naturopath doctor that actually studied nutrition. From what I have seen and heard, many doctors have not studied nutrition in medical school. Only medicine.

Reactions: bEt