Supplementation

Placido6536

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Could anyone kindly point me in the direction of the best multi vitamin for a 57 year old new vegan? I know we need B12 and Vit D. Also are there any other things I should be taking such as CoQ10 and choline as I understand vegan's could be deficient in these? Thank you.

Reactions: Dishalni
Could anyone kindly point me in the direction of the best multi vitamin for a 57 year old new vegan? I know we need B12 and Vit D. Also are there any other things I should be taking such as CoQ10 and choline as I understand vegan's could be deficient in these? Thank you.

I think iodine and omega 3 in the form of DHA/EPA from algae are important. The latter is not included in a vegan multivitamin so that is a good one to get separate. I take a teaspoon of syrup every day that has 300mg EPA, 600mg DHA. For the vegan multivitamin, I take American brand Solgar, formula VM-75 (which contains choline). It's probably not available there. That has iodine, but I also take liquid iodine, which you dispense into a glass of water from an eyedropper. I also take sublingual B12, even though the multi already has B12.

I don't know enough about Choline. I've heard people mention choline a few times but I never looked into it.

I take a DEVA multi called "Tiny Tablets". They are a very minimalist multi. They are vegan and inexpensive. DEVA makes a more hefty multi. I think its just called Vitamin and Mineral. Either one you can shop around for but they are so inexpensive, I just get it from Amazon.

When I eat right I probably don't need a multi, but I don't always eat right. In my mind, the multi is just cheap insurance.

I have never been b12 deficient. But started taking an additional B12 supplement. It's 1000 mcg and timed released.

I also take an omega 3 supplement.

Hi @Placido6536! As a neuronutritionist I would love to share this interesting article with you Are vegans choline deficient?

It provides evidence-based information on which type of choline may be favourable for the brain, you may want to consider this if you will be purchasing in choline supplements.

It also offer a list of the Top 10 plant-based food sources for choline and information on the recommended intake for choline per age group. This may help you control how to obtain enough choline through your diet as an alternative.

I hope you find this useful and would be happy to hear your thoughts or any enquires that you may have about choline.

Last edited: