Suggestions On Getting More Proteins?

Fiery

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I have recently becoming more weak, and I think it has something to do with my intake of protein. I eat garbanzo and kidney beans a lot, but I don't think those sources of protein is working out for me. I also want natural ways of getting my protein, and so do not want supplements or other artificial/processed means. Any sources of protein I can try? I want to stay away from beans, as I dislike most of them. I would also like new recipes I could try out that would satisfy my protein needs and maybe even make me like beans.

Don't overestimate protein. If you've been consuming it, you're fine.. often weakness is not enough calories or one of the many other nutrients people lack when switching to a heathier diet. If you're eating a plant based diet, you're likely fine.. the only thing we miss out on is b12. But it would be helpful to know what else you're eating and how much.

Otherwise, eat your greens, beans and rice. Do you like quinoa? You could also add hemp, chia or many other seeds to smoothies or salads etc. Nuts/nut butters, tempeh, tofu, avocado, sweet potatoes, vegan milks... so many foods have protein in them, it's the least likely issue for most.

Lentils! Also if you don't like beans, you could still try making veggie burgers out of beans. I've never been a fan of beans, but I love black bean burgers. Also nuts. You can make smoothies with nut butters and chia seeds, plus whatever fruit you want. You can get plant based protein powder to add to the smoothies as well.

Have you looked at your iron intake? Weakness if often associated with iron not just protein and is usually a problem in people new to the lifestyle and often missed. What makes you think it is protein you are missing? Chances are you are missing more than just protein if there is a specific issue.

Iron deficiency can make you tired and weak all the time. Green vegetables like kale and broccoli are a good choice.

Reading over this thread has made me realize how much I still need to learn regarding putting my diet together. I have a short list but this list is leaving me hungry!

I don't think it's the safest thing to pin point something through people that don't know exactly how you eat or your overall health. If whatever you decide on isn't the issue, you'll get too much. All I know is, protein is over hyped and too much is not good for the body. It's actually pretty stinkin hard to be protein deficient.. so be careful what you add to your diet in trying to get it, because you already are. I would go somewhere like cronometer.com to track your food and nutrients for a while, so you can see what's actually lacking in your diet. At least for a couple of days. You'd be surprised. And I would also get your levels checked by a doctor.. it's the only way to know for sure if you're deficient in anything. And I can't stress enough.. make sure you're getting enough calories, because that seems to be the biggest mistake people make. Not that you don't already know all this.. there's a lot of missing information lol.

PS: I hate beans. Despise. So the best way I've found to eat them is like someone else mentioned; burgers. You can also throw together some refried beans if texture is your issue. Hummus. You can also make a ton of different flat breads and crackers out of their different flours..

That burger sounds really good. And lord knows I have enough beans to feed an army.

Bean and grains are dormant foods and dont provide much nutrition unless sprouted. I always put fruit and plants first and never worry about protein intake!

Bean and grains are dormant foods and dont provide much nutrition unless sprouted. I always put fruit and plants first and never worry about protein intake!

When looking at the facts and figures, this is not really supported. http://www.healthaliciousness.com/n...php?o=16109&t=11452&h=16160&s=100&e=100&r=100

And a list of various different beans with their protein figures (all per 100g which is roughly 1/4 of a can of beans (in the UK at least)). http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/beans-legumes-highest-protein.php

Now if my daily requirement of protein is 45g (I'm female and that is the UK recommended minimum) and I have even only have a can of chickpeas (and trust me I can easily eat a can in a single sitting) 100g gives me 8.9g, so half a 440g can will presumably give me roughly 20g of protein, that is almost half my daily amount from half a can of chickpeas. That seems to be a reasonable amount tbh.

Fruit on the other hand will give me what?

Mango (100g) 0.9g of protein
Banana (100g) 1.1g protein
Avocado (100g) 2.0f protein.

And protein deficiency is an issue for any active vegan. A deficiency can lead to muscle wastage, not to mention organ failure as a severe consequence. Other symptoms include fatigue, headaches, oedema, difficulty sleeping, slow healing, thin or brittle hair. I could list a few more, knowing them all too well.

This is an interesting article for anyone wanting to know more about protein deficiency.
http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/Protein_Deficiency_Symptoms

The only people I can see getting protein deficiency are those who don't eat enough. Protein is everywhere and we don't need much. I would hope anyone showing those symptoms would go to a doctor and make sure, as they can be due to a number of issues.

When looking at the facts and figures, this is not really supported. http://www.healthaliciousness.com/n...php?o=16109&t=11452&h=16160&s=100&e=100&r=100

And a list of various different beans with their protein figures (all per 100g which is roughly 1/4 of a can of beans (in the UK at least)). http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/beans-legumes-highest-protein.php

Now if my daily requirement of protein is 45g (I'm female and that is the UK recommended minimum) and I have even only have a can of chickpeas (and trust me I can easily eat a can in a single sitting) 100g gives me 8.9g, so half a 440g can will presumably give me roughly 20g of protein, that is almost half my daily amount from half a can of chickpeas. That seems to be a reasonable amount tbh.

Fruit on the other hand will give me what?

Mango (100g) 0.9g of protein
Banana (100g) 1.1g protein
Avocado (100g) 2.0f protein.

And protein deficiency is an issue for any active vegan. A deficiency can lead to muscle wastage, not to mention organ failure as a severe consequence. Other symptoms include fatigue, headaches, oedema, difficulty sleeping, slow healing, thin or brittle hair. I could list a few more, knowing them all too well.

This is an interesting article for anyone wanting to know more about protein deficiency.
http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/Protein_Deficiency_Symptoms
lol protein deficiensy hahaha.... so ridiculous.... what about those ultra marathon runners (150 miles) which are fruitarians?

You must be working in meat business and trying to advertise here.

i take 60g of pea protein a day. i got it off line from bulk powders costs just under £40 for 5kg or 80 days worth. 60g = 240cal and about 48g of protein.

Vegetables are excellent, but you need to eat a lot of them. Combine them with eggs, nuts etc. Plenty to choose from. I suggest you also try some combinations to spice it up, otherwise you'll get bored and you'll have to go back to the treacherous beans. :D

When it comes to sudden weakness and signs of low protein intake, a dietary supplement rich in protein is what I would take first if I were in your shoes.

Then, I would look into my diet and will ask a dietitian to evaluate my choices to see if I'm getting all the nutrients needed every day.