Study: Vegetarian diet linked to lower risk of coronary heart disease, but higher risk of stroke

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The results reveal that once factors including age, sex, smoking status and socioeconomic status were taken into account, fish eaters had a 13% lower risk of coronary heart disease than meat-eaters, while vegetarians had a 22% lower risk.
Meanwhile, vegetarians had a 20% higher risk of having a stroke than meat-eaters. There was no clear effect for fish-eaters.
(4. Sept. 2019)

There were not enough vegans in the study to make these a separate group, so they were lumped in with the vegetarians.

The study analysed data from more than 48,000 adults in the UK who had signed up to to a study between 1993 and 2001.

A few reasons why vegetarians seem to be at higher risk of stroke are suggested towards the end of the article: less B12, lower cholesterol (although this was also suggested as a reason why they have lower risk for coronary heart disease) and less likely to take blood pressure lowering medication for hypertension.

There was also a study published last month about vegans lacking choline in their diet that the media grabbed hold of. While the author didn't receive any funding for the study they have previously worked for both the Meat Advisory Panel and British Egg Information Service so there is potential for conflict there. The media were all over it without presenting the fact that choline RDA could be achieved by eating a range of veg. At the end of the day a bad diet is a bad diet even without animal products.

I couldn't find any conflicts for study you mentioned apart from the funding from the Wellcome Trust but they do have £30bn in a broad range of investments and that they were big in pharma 20 years ago. They currently own FarmCare which is arable farming but don't know if they have any investment in dairy/meat/egg production.

Looking at the study I agree that lumping veggies and vegans together is not helpful but then, to me, it's not trying to convince meat eaters to give up meat but the opposite.

Two studies released and widely covered in the space of a few weeks? It's starting to feel like someone has had enough of the rise of plant based diets.

Haven't gotten to Mic's debunk. It's not something I worry about. Nutrition studies are really hard to do well. but anyway....
I thought this article has a different POV and seems very common sensical.

One more. I haven't paid enough attention to Barnard. With all the other great PB doctors I've ended up neglecting this one. I like listening to his voice. If he has a podcast maybe I could listen to him as I fall asleep. Or I could go back to going to sleep with Colleen Patrick Goudreau. Wait! that didn't come outright. :D

One more. I haven't paid enough attention to Barnard. With all the other great PB doctors I've ended up neglecting this one. I like listening to his voice. If he has a podcast maybe I could listen to him as I fall asleep. Or I could go back to going to sleep with Colleen Patrick Goudreau. Wait! that didn't come outright. :D

??

I love Dr. NB. I binged-watched all the vids I could find of him on YT after I saw him in What The Health. I might be inclined to say something equally inappropriate about him... But I won't ;)

Reactions: Emma JC