Study: vegan diet for ethical reasons vs health reasons

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
A study published in the journal Apetite investigated the differences between those who adopted a vegan diet for health reasons and those who did it for ethical reasons. They recruited 246 individuals online who reported adhering to a vegan diet.

They found that those citing health reasons (45 people) reported eating more fruit and fewer sweets than did those citing ethical reasons (201 people). Those citing ethical reasons reported being on the diet longer, and more frequent consumption of soy, foods rich in vitamin D, high-polyphenol beverages, and vitamin supplements (vitamin D and vitamin B12) than did those endorsing health reasons.

Study here: Investigation of lifestyle choices of individuals following a vegan diet for health and ethical reasons (Cynthia Radnitza, Bonnie Beezholdb, Julie DiMatteoa. Available online since 25 February 2015. To be published in the paper edition of Apetite in Volume 90, 1 July 2015, Pages 31–36)

Also discussed here:
Vegan Diet: Ethical and Health Reasons Lead to Different Outcomes (Time.com, 6. April 2015)

Last edited:
Time.com said:
People who go vegan for ethical reasons are more likely to stick to the dietthan people who are vegan for health reasons, according to a new study.

Kind of a no-brainer, is it not?

IMO it is the only real motivation to go vegan. For somebody who wants to have health benefits, eating "a little" animal products will not make much of a difference, health-wise. For an ethical vegan, it's a world of a difference.

I am hopeful that many of those who start following a plant-based diet for health reasons have their eyes opened to the injustices of consuming animal products, and, their palates no longer depending on it, also have the possibility to act upon that impulse.

Best regards,
Andy

I am hopeful that many of those who start following a plant-based diet for health reasons have their eyes opened to the injustices of consuming animal products, and, their palates no longer depending on it, also have the possibility to act upon that impulse.
Yes, I think we can expect more than a few individuals coming to veganism through this route. It would be interesting to see the actual numbers, though.

if it was just a diet for me, I'd likely cheat or just drop it all together. Like how I tried to quit soda a few times, yet I keep going back to it, lol. If it's just a diet to someone, a little animal products won't kill them, right? Plus there's other vegan related things, such as animal testing, that someone following a plant based diet would not avoid.

Reactions: Dedalus
A study published in the journal Apetite investigated the differences between those who adopted a vegan diet for health reasons and those who did it for ethical reasons. They recruited 246 individuals online who reported adhering to a vegan diet.

They found that those citing health reasons (45 people) reported eating more fruit and fewer sweets than did those citing ethical reasons (201 people). Those citing ethical reasons reported being on the diet longer, and more frequent consumption of soy, foods rich in vitamin D, high-polyphenol beverages, and vitamin supplements (vitamin D and vitamin B12) than did those endorsing health reasons.

Study here: Investigation of lifestyle choices of individuals following a vegan diet for health and ethical reasons (Cynthia Radnitza, Bonnie Beezholdb, Julie DiMatteoa. Available online since 25 February 2015. To be published in the paper edition of Apetite in Volume 90, 1 July 2015, Pages 31–36)

Also discussed here:
Vegan Diet: Ethical and Health Reasons Lead to Different Outcomes (Time.com, 6. April 2015)
thanks for this! confirms my own experience and what i've heard from others. great to have some backing :)

I thought Nick Cooney in his book Veganomics mentions the fact that a lot of health vegans become ethical vegans after a while. Initially health was their major motivation but then it shifted towards animal rights. Health vegans no longer suffer from a cognitive dissonance and hence are more open to the idea that animals have rights

looking at all those vegan cupcakes eaten by animal rights activists, I can imagine that ethical vegans eat more sweets. Still, there is an inconsistency: sweets are not necessary for us (in fact they are unhealthy) and the production of those sugars and vegetable oils harms animals (e.g. moles and mice killed by accident on the fields during plowing and harvest). Fruits and nuts are healthier than sweets and are less harmfull. So in one sense the health vegans are more ethical.

My take on this: if someone goes vegan for ethical reasons, it's only logical that they should care about their own health, as well as about the wellbeing of an animal they could have eaten.

I thought Nick Cooney in his book Veganomics mentions the fact that a lot of health vegans become ethical vegans after a while. Initially health was their major motivation but then it shifted towards animal rights. Health vegans no longer suffer from a cognitive dissonance and hence are more open to the idea that animals have rights
It's an interesting hypothesis, but I'm not aware of any studies trying to quantify the number or ratio of "health vegans" (*) who become "ethical" vegans (*) through this route.

* The so-called "health vegans" or sometimes "dietary vegans" usually only follow a vegan diet, and don't attempt to follow a vegan lifestyle, so as such the term "strict vegetarian" is more appropriate to describe them.

looking at all those vegan cupcakes eaten by animal rights activists, I can imagine that ethical vegans eat more sweets. Still, there is an inconsistency: sweets are not necessary for us (in fact they are unhealthy) and the production of those sugars and vegetable oils harms animals (e.g. moles and mice killed by accident on the fields during plowing and harvest). Fruits and nuts are healthier than sweets and are less harmfull. So in one sense the health vegans are more ethical.
If they are more ethical, they're not intentionally so. So if intentions matter in the ethical evaluation, they lose on that aspect.
My take on this: if someone goes vegan for ethical reasons, it's only logical that they should care about their own health, as well as about the wellbeing of an animal they could have eaten.
I suppose health isn't everything. For some of us, instant gratification is more important than good health. We're all somewhere on that spectrum where one extreme is choosing only healthful foods and activities, and on the other extreme is choosing only foods and activities which provide instant gratification.

Last edited:

I am not sure if I can follow this logic, especially as it is starting with the (IMO unproven) assumption that animal rights activists would eat more cupcakes than nuts and fruits.

I am not sure if I can follow this logic, especially as it is starting with the (IMO unproven) assumption that animal rights activists would eat more cupcakes than nuts and fruits.
In addition, production of some fruits, nuts, and vegetables causes many insect and small animal deaths. Not to mention the bees being brought in to pollinate, and the immense amount of water needed to grow, say, almonds.

Veganism is doing what is possible and practicable. If I want to bake and eat vegan cupcakes, it is not less ethical than health vegans eating almonds and grapes.

Reactions: KLS52
that assumption is what the study in Apetite said: health vegans eat more fruit and fewer sweets

In addition, production of some fruits, nuts, and vegetables causes many insect and small animal deaths. Not to mention the bees being brought in to pollinate, and the immense amount of water needed to grow, say, almonds.

Veganism is doing what is possible and practicable. If I want to bake and eat vegan cupcakes, it is not less ethical than health vegans eating almonds and grapes.
the difference is that sweets are not necessary for us, whereas fruit and nuts are necessary for good health. The water footprint of cupcakes (sugar, cocoa and vegetable oils) is higher than fruit and nuts. Planting fruit trees is good for the bees. Fruits and nuts are mostly perennial crops whereas sugar and vegetable oils involve annual crops. Annual crops require more land operations that are more harmful to animals. A healthy vegan diet (with fruits and no sweets) is possible and practicable, as the health vegans demonstrate.

Health vegans are more likely to cheat though, especially around the holidays. A small piece of turkey or chicken, an occasional burger now and then, all are worse than an occasional cookie. Besides it is possible to have ethical sweets.
I eat a lot of ice cream made from bananas; frozen bananas and cocoa powder, a little cinnamon and/or homemade vanilla, no added oil or sugar. I also like to add pieces of fruit or almonds when I have them on hand. Not a necessity, but it's delicious and I probably eat more of it than I should.

the difference is that sweets are not necessary for us, whereas fruit and nuts are necessary for good health. The water footprint of cupcakes (sugar, cocoa and vegetable oils) is higher than fruit and nuts. Planting fruit trees is good for the bees. Fruits and nuts are mostly perennial crops whereas sugar and vegetable oils involve annual crops. Annual crops require more land operations that are more harmful to animals. A healthy vegan diet (with fruits and no sweets) is possible and practicable, as the health vegans demonstrate.
Trying to convince healthy people that not only do they have to give up animal products to be vegan, but also have to only eat healthy food, with no more treats, is going to be a hard sell. Health vegans are often people with health problems, so there is more motivation for eating healthy there to, say, not have another heart attack, than there is for ethical vegans. The most positive, real questions I get about my veganism is after people eat my oatmeal raisin cookies. Or red velvet cupcakes.

They think going vegan means they have to live bleakly on bananas and cold green salad forever, and guess what? No, it doesn't! :)

Last edited:
Stijn, I do not like the term "health vegans" a lot, as these people are largely "plant based", but not vegan, if they mainly eat plant-based food for health reasons, but do not change their habits regarding use of animals in other areas. (For health reasons, there is also not really much wrong with having the odd piece of tuna, cottage cheese or lean meat, every now and then)

I am also against "watering down" the vegan message, to say (or infer) that you "are not really vegan" until you also avoid sweets, eat healthy, work out, avoid anything made by big, bad multinational corporations, and possibly live as a hermit in a cave.

Reactions: KLS52