Struggling with cravings

Hey guys. I've been vegetarian for about 5 years. I rarely find myself craving meat but about 3 months ago i went vegan and some days I get awful cravings. I almost get angry that I cant just go to the shop and buy some dairy chocolate or a cheese string.

I know the damage it does to my body, I know the damage it does to the environment and I knew the suffering animals go through to make the food but yet I still crave it. I feel awful. The cravings havent gotten even slightly better. It is really starting to affect me. I'm miserable because I cant eat what makes me happy but I am just an awful person for eating it if I do. I feel guilty for even craving it and those moments where all i want to do is go to the shop and spend £20 on dairy products.

How do I deal with this. How do I make it go away? Will it always be like this. Will I constantly be fighting this urge because I am not sure I could deal with this long term,

Thanks for any help.
I totally feel you! I have decided to go vegan again as of today. I went veggie at 13. I then went back to veggie in 2020. I have been going back and forth, from vegan to veggie and veggie to vegan, ever since. I have really been struggling with the same sort of issues.
Maybe you could set yourself a challenge of going vegan for 66 days to start with? That’s how long it can take, on average, to make or break a habit - sometimes it takes longer! After that, the addiction and cravings should subside.
You could also try doing a food addiction hypnosis on YouTube. Please pick one that focuses on specific foods of your choice (in your case, dairy and, maybe, other non-vegan foods) and listen to it every day for about 1-3 weeks.
Please also try reminding yourself of why you’re doing this. If you aren’t easily, overly upset by that sort of thing, please try watching vegan documentaries. These could help put you off of dairy and other non-vegan foods as well. Recently, I tried watching a disgusting documentary by Joey Carbstrong about the rape of dairy cattle, to try and put myself off of dairy. Even if you are sensitive to that sort of thing, you could still watch something like that, and then go and watch/do something nice that you enjoy (as long as it’s ethical, moral, legal and safe). You could also try watching tamer videos about veganism, animal rights and dairy.
You could also try looking at things that inspired you to go vegan in the first place. For me, one of those things was Juliet Gellately’s book “Born to Be Wild”. Juliet Gellately is the vegan activist who founded Viva!
I send lots of loving-kindness, compassion and warm, virtual hugs your way.
Please try and stay vegan.
Thanks.

Reactions: bEt and Tom L.
I totally feel you! I have decided to go vegan again as of today. I went veggie at 13. I then went back to veggie in 2020. I have been going back and forth, from vegan to veggie and veggie to vegan, ever since. I have really been struggling with the same sort of issues.
Maybe you could set yourself a challenge of going vegan for 66 days to start with? That’s how long it can take, on average, to make or break a habit - sometimes it takes longer! After that, the addiction and cravings should subside.
You could also try doing a food addiction hypnosis on YouTube. Please pick one that focuses on specific foods of your choice (in your case, dairy and, maybe, other non-vegan foods) and listen to it every day for about 1-3 weeks.
Please also try reminding yourself of why you’re doing this. If you aren’t easily, overly upset by that sort of thing, please try watching vegan documentaries. These could help put you off of dairy and other non-vegan foods as well. Recently, I tried watching a disgusting documentary by Joey Carbstrong about the rape of dairy cattle, to try and put myself off of dairy. Even if you are sensitive to that sort of thing, you could still watch something like that, and then go and watch/do something nice that you enjoy (as long as it’s ethical, moral, legal and safe). You could also try watching tamer videos about veganism, animal rights and dairy.
You could also try looking at things that inspired you to go vegan in the first place. For me, one of those things was Juliet Gellately’s book “Born to Be Wild”. Juliet Gellately is the vegan activist who founded Viva!
Thanks.
Thanks I liked and appreciate your response... I really need to look into what animals go through. I read a book named the Omnivore's Dilemma in college. But I'm certain that i's totally different to visualize the process animals go through the process.

I don't think we ever communicated... I'm curious about How you became VEGAN?

I'd say, try to be prepared. Get some vegan meat analogues, cheeses and chocolates BEFORE you get the cravings and store them.

Reactions: bEt
I really need to look into what animals go through. I read a book named the Omnivore's Dilemma in college. But I'm certain that i's totally different to visualize the process animals go through the process.
The Omnivore's Dilemma is a Great book. But I wouldn't put it into any kind of vegan motivation category. Pollan may be sympathetic to vegans but not enough to go vegan himself.

Also I doubt your issue is with a lack of knowledge or education. Take a look back at my first post in this thread.

I'd say, try to be prepared. Get some vegan meat analogues, cheeses and chocolates BEFORE you get the cravings and store them.
That doesn't sound very vegan, which side are you on?

The Omnivore's Dilemma is a Great book. But I wouldn't put it into any kind of vegan motivation category. Pollan may be sympathetic to vegans but not enough to go vegan himself.

Also I doubt your issue is with a lack of knowledge or education. Take a look back at my first post in this thread.
Ok thanks buddy :blush: I'll be back to pick your brain tomorrow if that's fine with you
Have a blessed night

Reactions: Lou
analogues = alternatives

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Although most everyone here understands what is meant by an analogue, I don't think this is the proper usage for the word. It does allow for misunderstanding if you are not familiar with vegan alternatives. I think the word alternative may be the best choice.

I don't think the vegan community has settled on the proper words yet. Non-dairy and meat-free or vegan work well with the things that are purposely made to resemble non vegan products. things like tofu, seitan, and tempeh may not need a special word.

Reactions: Emma JC
Hmmm... I would have thought he expression "vegan meat analogue" would have been understood as a food that's vegan, but is otherwise similar to meat in taste and/or texture, and possibly nutrient content. I think I often use the expression "vegan meat substitute".

I've made grilled cheese into a regular thing over here.
Its great for lunch with small bowl of soup or some raw veggies.
I always use a healthy bread like Dave's or Ezekiel's. And a slice of tomato.
So I don't think of it as a guilty pleasure.

The margarine does add too much fat but at least it also has omegas and its low on sat fat.

I just heard of these cookies - Emmy's. And they seem to be in all the stores nearby. Looking forward to trying them. Has anyone had them?

Just bought some Emmy's dark cacao coconut cookies.
They are not very good.
the only other flavor in the store was the vanilla.
Sort of dry. Very coconut-y. Reminds me of the macaroons we had around Passover.
If I ever see the chocolate covered ones I will try them.
In the meantime, I'll just stick with the vegan cookies at TJs.

Just bought some Emmy's dark cacao coconut cookies.
They are not very good.
the only other flavor in the store was the vanilla.
Sort of dry. Very coconut-y. Reminds me of the macaroons we had around Passover.
If I ever see the chocolate covered ones I will try them.
In the meantime, I'll just stick with the vegan cookies at TJs.
You really know how to make my mouth water, while I'm resisting myself to have discipline now that the season changed and I want to improve my appearance so I can war my bathing suit at the beach, LOL

Thanks.
Thank you for being transparent... I tried to be vegan in the past as well and the animal products kept irresistibly kept causing me to relapse on my old eating habits.
13 was a very young age, to make such a serious decision...and I commend you for doing so 👏👍🙂

What inspired you?
How long did it last?
And how would you describe your experience?
Do you feel that having a support network keeps you solid or do you have a different strategy to help you not regress?

I feel like I have to stick to the plan if I'm going to follow being vegan through all the way!!! and I feel like knowing your truth could help me transitions to become a solid vegan.

Hai teman-teman. Saya sudah menjadi vegetarian selama sekitar 5 tahun. Saya jarang menemukan diri saya mengidam daging tetapi sekitar 3 bulan yang lalu saya menjadi vegan dan beberapa hari saya sangat mengidam. Saya hampir marah karena saya tidak bisa pergi ke toko dan membeli cokelat susu atau keju.

I know the damage it does to my body, I know the damage it does to the environment and I knew the suffering animals go through to make the food but yet I still crave it. I feel awful. The cravings havent gotten even slightly better. It is really starting to affect me. I'm miserable because I cant eat what makes me happy but I am just an awful person for eating it if I do. I feel guilty for even craving it and those moments where all i want to do is go to the shop and spend £20 on dairy products.

How do I deal with this. How do I make it go away? Will it always be like this. Will I constantly be fighting this urge because I am not sure I could deal with this long term,

Thanks for any help.
Good story, am very salute

Good story, am very salute
I know what you're going through because I recently decided to be a vegan, sometimes I get headaches which I don't recall having as frequently as I do now...
But perhaps you can combat those urges by thinking or vocalizing why you decided to become a vegan... It's an affirmation that you have to intentionally tell yourself to remain grounded and not be swayed by your carnal desires.
What language were you writing in?
Do you want to start by telling me why you became a vegan? I noticed you joined this month, so I'm assuming it's a recent decision..?

I can relate however all i can recommend is pull threw with it it'll only get easier both with drugs, milk, egg, meat, caffeine.
Also substitutes help.

I know what you're going through because I recently decided to be a vegan, sometimes I get headaches which I don't recall having as frequently as I do now...
But perhaps you can combat those urges by thinking or vocalizing why you decided to become a vegan... It's an affirmation that you have to intentionally tell yourself to remain grounded and not be swayed by your carnal desires.
What language were you writing in?
Do you want to start by telling me why you became a vegan? I noticed you joined this month, so I'm assuming it's a recent decision..?
It is interesting to me that you mention headaches, because I have a family history of migraines. One thing that some claim can help reduce migraine ( I don't know about other headaches) is taking a low-dose riboflavin supplement regularly. I really do think that some people need more than others for complicated genetic reasons. I have even read of migraine being related to vitamin d deficiency, because vitamin d helps us absorb not only calcium but magnesium as well, and low magnesium is sometimes associated with migraine risk.

I am a "vegan in process," meaning that over the years I've gradually reduced my meat intake down to maybe 1 or 2 "meat meals" a year. A few dishes, especially the local Iranian restaurant's amazing gyros, can occasionally give me craving jiggles. I can't remember exactly when, but the last time I gave into the craving, I felt worse afterwards. Over time, I've noticed that the spans between giving in and feeling remorse have grown and grown over time. This method may not work for everyone, but not wanting to repeat the remorse of giving in has gradually overtaken the pleasure of eating the "naughty meal." It probably also helps that a local vegan restaurant serves an amazing seitan "gyros." I've taken refuge there a few times.

I wouldn't feel bad about having cravings. it's natural to want something that you once ate with abandon. Transitioning can be a gradual process and people should even allow some "whoops" once in a while. In my case, those "whoops" have actually resulted in fewer cravings.