Strange experiences trying to replenish B12 levels

F Schrager

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello Vegan Forum! I have been vegan for 5 years. I never made sure that I consumed adequate levels of b12 - so I became deficient. Over the past year and a half I have been trying to replenish my levels of b12. However, it has some very strange effects on my mind.
Positive: my mind is more agile at quick-thinking activities; i feel SO much happier - sometimes even a feeling of euphoria (but this can be worrying as it seems to make me overoptimistic and not cautious enough).
Negative: Memory is the main thing - I feel like I forget how to do learnt activities - essay writing, spelling - it feels a bit like my brain has been reset. I also sometimes feel quite spaced out.

I've done a load of internet searches trying to find any post about a similar experience or some advice - but have had no luck. Please let me know if you have had any strange experiences - even if not the same - when trying to replenish b12 levels. And, of course, any advice would be great!

Thanks

My guess is that it's not that your B12 levels are too low but your THC levels are too high

Your symptoms seem to match mine. And my symptoms correlate with THC ingestion. My memory is getting to resemble swiss cheese. I don't know if i can still spell. I have a spell checker for that. However the other day I had to look at my gear shift to remember where reverse was.
:cool:

Hi F Schrager,

It should not take a year and a half to recover your vitamin B12 levels. Please see your physician about this - they can give you B12 injections. Also, your physician should examine you for any medical problems that could be interfering with your body's B12 absorption.

Once your B12 levels have been restored, it is easy and cheap to maintain healthy B12 levels. Please follow the B12 supplement recommendations of the Vegan Society UK: https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/nutrition-and-health/nutrients/vitamin-b12 . You can buy B12 vitamins very cheaply on Amazon - here's an 18-month supply for less than $7 (one 2500mcg pill per week): https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Bounty-Supplement-Supports-Metabolism/dp/B00VX14ULK/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1F3471Y7XKC3Y&keywords=vitamin+b12+cyanocobalamin+2500+mcg&qid=1579055482&sprefix=vitamin+b12+cyano,aps,213&sr=8-6 .

Reactions: F Schrager and Sax
Hello Vegan Forum! I have been vegan for 5 years. I never made sure that I consumed adequate levels of b12 - so I became deficient. Over the past year and a half I have been trying to replenish my levels of b12. However, it has some very strange effects on my mind.
Positive: my mind is more agile at quick-thinking activities; i feel SO much happier - sometimes even a feeling of euphoria (but this can be worrying as it seems to make me overoptimistic and not cautious enough).
Negative: Memory is the main thing - I feel like I forget how to do learnt activities - essay writing, spelling - it feels a bit like my brain has been reset. I also sometimes feel quite spaced out.

I've done a load of internet searches trying to find any post about a similar experience or some advice - but have had no luck. Please let me know if you have had any strange experiences - even if not the same - when trying to replenish b12 levels. And, of course, any advice would be great!

Thanks
Are you seeing a doctor about this? It's my understanding b12 deficiency can be damaging.
Are you getting the right test? https://veganhealth.org/should-i-get-my-b12-status-tested/
Irks me so badly when people dismiss the need to supplement.

Reactions: F Schrager
Hi there! It takes a while for our bodies to build up our B12 storage but be patient. May I recommend you take a B12 supplement containing 5000 micro grams and take it at least once a weak. I would also suggest you look into your vitamin B6 intake. This vitamin is also very important when it comes to brain function helps prevent dementia in the future. If you’re struggling with memory you might also be deficient in this area as well.

Reactions: F Schrager