Stories that restore your faith in humanity

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
We are constantly bombarded with horrible news stories every single day, and they're painful to read. It can even result in compassion fatigue (see my thread on compassion fatigue). But every so often we read or hear about something that happens that makes you smile, makes you cry happy tears and restores your faith in humanity. I read one such story just now.

Florida cop buys shoplifting mom $100 worth of food instead of jailing her

A Florida police officer exhibited some compassion toward a local woman she caught stealing $300 worth of groceries out of desperation, WSVN-TV reported.

While Miami-Dade Officer Vicki Thomas did arrest Jessica Robles and charge her with a misdemeanor, Thomas also bought Robles $100 worth of food for her children instead of taking her to jail.

“I made the decision to buy her some groceries because arresting her wasn’t going to solve the problem with her children being hungry,” Thomas told WSVN.

Anyone have any such stories to tell? They can be news stories or something that has happened to you personally or to someone you know.

Reactions: KLS52
Saw that on the news yesterday. Cool story.

Good News: Inspirational Stories - Happy Pictures and Videos 2013

y1134-100-lb-pumpkin-stolen-returned_zpsf37fee9e.jpg

Someone stole this boy's pumpkin and then returned it with an apology note. Thief Returns Boys 100-Pound Stolen Pumpkin, Leaves Apology Note

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/06/sleeping-stranger-subway-picture_n_4228826.html

I don't know why race or religion needed to be mentioned, but it was still a nice story.

Compassion.
This man has it.

When Isaac Theil let a sleepy stranger take a little catnap on his shoulder, it was because "I simply remembered the times my own head would bop on someone’s shoulder because I was so tired after a long day," he recounted to Tova Ross of Tablet Magazine.

Another subway rider was so struck by Theil's nonchalant empathy that he snapped a picture and put it on Reddit, from which it was then posted to Facebook by Charidy.

Redditor Braffination wrote, "Heading home on the Q train yesterday when this young black guy nods off on the shoulder of a Jewish man. The man doesn't move a muscle, just lets him stay there. After a minute, I asked the man if he wanted me to wake the kid up, but he shook his head and responded, 'He must have had a long day, let him sleep. We've all been there, right?'"

Theil himself has been completely surprised at the attention he's received for his small act of kindness, as the photo has been shared over 20,000 times on Facebook.

stranger-sleeps-on-subway-passenger.jpg

Reactions: KLS52 and Amy SF
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/06/sleeping-stranger-subway-picture_n_4228826.html

I don't know why race or religion needed to be mentioned, but it was still a nice story.

stranger-sleeps-on-subway-passenger.jpg

Probably race and religion were mentioned because one was black and the other Jewish. Historically there have been enmity, hate and anger between the two groups, and the point was being made that a simple act of compassion transcended that. The Jewish man could have jumped up, angry, pulled a gun, caused violence towards the black man. The black man could have responded in kind. It could have ended in tragedy and more anger and hate all around. But it didn't. That was the point.

How awesome and fun.

I really do believe there are more good people than bad. :)

Reactions: thefadedone
2nd-Grader's Cure For Playground Loneliness: A Buddy Bench

Second-grader Christian Bucks, of York, Pa., knew that some of his classmates felt lonely during recess, and he decided to do something about it. His simple, utterly heartwarming solution was to install a playground "buddy bench."

As reported by the York Daily Record, a buddy bench is a designated seating area where students feeling lonely or upset can seek camaraderie. The area is customarily painted in bright, inviting colors.

Bucks first spotted a buddy bench in a brochure for a school in Germany, according to the Record. He pitched the idea to Roundtown Elementary School Principal Matthew Miller, who immediately got on board. Miller even let Bucks help pick the bench's style and colors.

Bucks told the Record that he hopes the bench will help "grow our dream circle of friends."...

I think buddy benches could be useful in adult life too. especially living somewhere like london where people look at you like you have 3 heads if you try to have a conversation with them or presume you're hitting on them. no, im just killing time being friendly! also handy would be the "leave me alone" bench for when you really do just want to read a book alone but people keep talking to you haha

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...d-for-helping-rescue-helicopter-crash-victims -idk whether it made international news but a helicopter crashed onto a busy pub on Friday. how everyone all just helped (even a politician who was just driving by - could have easily kept going) and formed a human chain to help get people out. people like that really restore my faith in humanity.

Reactions: Mikkel and KLS52
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...lker-bought-engagement-ring-article-1.1537567
Paul Walker made a young unsuspecting couple's dream come true nearly a decade ago and they are now finding out he was the man to thank.

In an immeasurable act of kindness, Walker purchased an engagement ring for Kristen and Kyle Upham in 2004 after learning the young military man had just returned from his first tour of duty in Iraq. But the actor wanted to remain anonymous.

Now, in the wake of the actor's tragic death, jewelry store associate Irene King came forward with the story and the couple found out it was Walker's generosity that touched their lives so many years ago.

Woman from abusive past seeks to ‘rent’ family on Craigslist for the holidays

By David Ferguson
Saturday, December 7, 2013 12:54 EST
Screencap-of-Jackie-Turner-615x345.jpg

A 26-year-old woman with a turbulent past took an unconventional route to finding peace and happiness over the holidays this year.

According to Stockton, CA’s Channel 10 News, William Jessup University student Jackie Turner has faced a lifetime of physical, sexual and emotional abuse, survived the rough life of the streets and is now in search of a little comfort and joy.

So she turned to the Internet, placing an ad on Craigslist and offering to pay $8 an hour “to rent a mom and dad.”

“Just to sit, just to listen,” she said. “Just to cry with me, no strings beyond that.”

Dozens of families replied saying that would be happy to take Turner into their embrace at no charge. It was the other people who she heard from who surprised Turner.

Full story here: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/...o-rent-family-on-craigslist-for-the-holidays/

That is so touching and sad...to wonder how many hurting people, like this woman, are out there. :(

http://www.viralnova.com/found-freezing/

When one man found a small squirrel freezing in the cold, he knew he just couldn’t let him stay out in the elements on his own. So, he scooped the little guy up, took him home and took part in the most adorable recovery process the Internet has ever seen. (Seriously, try to not squeal when you see these pictures.)
frozen.jpg