Starbucks introduces vegan breakfast sandwich

In the USA, Starbucks now has a promotion for Meatless Mondays. Every Monday you can get $2 bucks off of the
Impossible™ Breakfast Sandwich, Southwest Veggie Wrap, and Spinach, Feta & Egg White Wrap.

These are all vegetarian options.

The only vegan option is the Bagel and Avocado spread. but no meatless Monday discount for that one.

Starbucks continues to be a step (or two) behind the times for vegan options.

Tomorrow I'm going to stay home and make my own vegan sandwich. I'll use a Foldable Just Egg with a slice of Chao, and a Beyond Meat Sausage patty on a hamburger bun. I guess I have to get some ciabattas next week.
I will even make my own soymilk latte.
So FU Starbucks USA.

This is the most ridiculous news I've read.

They could have hired me! I could design a vegan bf sandwich for just a couple of hundred dollars.

As the article points out - there is already a good alternative -
Just Egg’s mung bean-based egg patties, Impossible Foods’ breakfast sausage (which Starbucks currently uses on its vegetarian Impossible Breakfast Sandwich), and Daiya’s new fermented, extra-stretchy cheese currently in the works.​
“It’s like trying to reinvent the wheel when there are already perfectly good wheels available.”​

What is even worse, in order to pay for the billion dollar research - the vegan breakfast sandwich will cost the public $21. Where is might have only cost $5.

This is the most ridiculous news I've read.

They could have hired me! I could design a vegan bf sandwich for just a couple of hundred dollars.

As the article points out - there is already a good alternative -
Just Egg’s mung bean-based egg patties, Impossible Foods’ breakfast sausage (which Starbucks currently uses on its vegetarian Impossible Breakfast Sandwich), and Daiya’s new fermented, extra-stretchy cheese currently in the works.​
“It’s like trying to reinvent the wheel when there are already perfectly good wheels available.”​

What is even worse, in order to pay for the billion dollar research - the vegan breakfast sandwich will cost the public $21. Where is might have only cost $5.
Seriously, is this a joke? “We tested an all-cauliflower breakfast wrap made with a cauliflower-quinoa scramble, cauliflower milk-based cheese, and chunks of boiled cauliflower, all wrapped in a gluten-free cauliflower wrap. But for some reason, it didn’t take off.”

Operative word: Cauliflower. Don't get me wrong. I love cauliflower, but I wouldn't buy that sandwich. I like cauliflower as just cauliflower, not as something that's used as a sub for egg, bread, cheese or whatever. It just doesn't sound appealing.

Seriously, is this a joke? “We tested an all-cauliflower breakfast wrap made with a cauliflower-quinoa scramble, cauliflower milk-based cheese, and chunks of boiled cauliflower, all wrapped in a gluten-free cauliflower wrap. But for some reason, it didn’t take off.”

Operative word: Cauliflower. Don't get me wrong. I love cauliflower, but I wouldn't buy that sandwich. I like cauliflower as just cauliflower, not as something that's used as a sub for egg, bread, cheese or whatever. It just doesn't sound appealing.
Starbucks must have invested in Cauliflower futures. The only plant milk they don't charge extra for is cauliflower milk

OH! Wait. Just realized its April 1st. HA! they got me!!

and there it is at the end
"
please note that this story is still unfolding, so watch this space. Please also note that today is April Fool’s Day."

Thought that it was sort of obvious.:worried: :D
I'm not usually gullible. in fact I think I'm sort of skeptical. In my defense when I read it I wasn't thinking April fools. plus it's VegNews. I don't think of them as capable of pranking.

But in retrospect - it was a good April Fools prank.

I saw that and also had to question it--I hate so many vegan offerings. My work has a frozen vend machine with vegan burritos. I was so happy, buy they're like the worst thing ever! Sweet Earth :hurl:. Literally foods I like made to be disgusting

I'm not usually gullible. in fact I think I'm sort of skeptical. In my defense when I read it I wasn't thinking April fools. plus it's VegNews. I don't think of them as capable of pranking.

But in retrospect - it was a good April Fools prank.

No worries. I just didn't want to interrupt your banter. :D I could see that you got a bit carried away.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou
When I heard Starbucks was adding a coffee with olive oil I thought it was an April Fools! :yuck:
As I understand it, some Doctor said that a tbsp of olive oil a day improves your heath. The Starbucks guy bought into it and thought, well as long as you're having a cup of coffee, might as well feed two birds with one scone.

As I understand it, some Doctor said that a tbsp of olive oil a day improves your heath. The Starbucks guy bought into it and thought, well as long as you're having a cup of coffee, might as well feed two birds with one scone.

The beans are infused with olive oil and the latter is not drizzled into the beverage as some might think. Olive oil has a wonderful
taste and it pairs well with many different ingredients due to it's complex and sometimes nutty taste. I like a drizzle over vanilla
flavoured ice cream. Far better than any store bought sickly sweet syrup.:)

This would make me want to go back to SB's to taste it as I'm not a huge fan of their coffee.

Note some doctor but numerous studies promote olive oil (in moderation) to reduce cardiovascular disease,stroke and dementia.

"Alexandra Domrongchai, a fellow with Food & Wine, got to taste Oleatos.

In a piece on the new coffee line, Domrongchai wrote that the Oleato Golden Foam Cold Brew boasted a “creamy, decadent olive oil ice cream.”

Overall, she said she enjoyed how the coffee and olive oil played off one another.

“The olive oil lends a nuttier, more complex flavor to the coffee blend, making it an ideal beverage to sip and savor in the afternoons rather than slug down as just a morning jolt,” she said."

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
I haven't been going to coffee shops that much since the lockdown. I usually go to Starbucks where I have a gold card (a gold card is their version of a reward card. you buy stuff now and you get a little discount later).
Even so I have had almost all the Plant Based Breakfast Sandwiches there are.
Today for the first time I had a Philz plant based breakfast sandwich. Philz is a franchise coffee shop, just not as big as Starbucks. Around here the three big chains are Philz, Pete's and Starbucks. Some people think Philz is the the best coffee. Like I said, I usually go to Starbucks. There aren't any Philz right near me but I can walk to three Starbucks and one Petes

I has some time to kill downtown today - so I went to a Philz for a change. Had a cup of coffee and it was very good but I also got their Plant Based Breakfast Sandwich. It was terrific. I'm going to start making them at home - maybe for special occasions.

I think the thing that put it over the top was the Impossible meat sausage. At home I make mine with Gardein breakfast sausages. The impossible meat sausage is just the right size for a sandwich. The Gardeins are a bit too small. There was a Just Egg Foldable in there. I like them too. and I think the cheese was Dayia shredded cheddar. I'll have to see if I can find that too.

I'll have to check but I don't think it was on an English muffin. I think it was on a poppy seed bagel.

Reactions: Chryssie