TV & Film Star Trek (Spoilers)

FortyTwo

Custom Title
Reaction score
General Star Trek discussion thread. The Original Series, the Motion Pictures, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, and Star Trek 09/Into Darkness all pertinent here.

Voyager is the only spinoff I never watched all the episodes of. At the time it switched networks or my cable company changed the channel lineup or some such thing, not sure I want to re-watch all of them on Netflix.

I admit that the only Star Trek anything I've ever seen is the new into the darkness movie. But I really liked it, and it makes me want to watch other Star Trek things. :)

I admit that the only Star Trek anything I've ever seen is the new into the darkness movie. But I really liked it, and it makes me want to watch other Star Trek things. :)

Boy where to start?

Maybe with the 1st 3 original Star Trek movies, especially the Wrath of Khan and the Search for Spock, then go back and watch the first of the new franchise movies, then you have something to contrast where the new series is going.

Then knock yourself out on the original series, the next generation and DS9 and then watch the rest of the movies.

I'd actually suggest starting with TOS (mostly because that's what I did :p), as long as you know what you're in for. The entire thing is on Netflix and you can probably find them all over the internet. Don't be turned off from the whole thing if you don't like it, though, because it's definitely an acquired taste. Made in the late 60s and with an incredibly small budget. If you can, find the ones with the updated effects - unlike some updated versions (COUGH Star Wars Special Editions) the Star Trek updated effects don't impede on the storyline or add unnecessary graphics, just polish the old ones because although they were endearing they were really quite terrible. The writing for the old show is superb, and although everyone makes fun of the performances it really does pull you in emotionally.

The Next Generation was the follow-up in the 80s, which takes place 100 years later, with a new crew. It's a bit more modern so if you feel the old show is too dated you could always start there.

Reactions: kazyeeqen
tumblr_mm87xjlJxp1qceeh0o1_500.jpg

^from Tumblr.

ETA: Good news, everyone! Just found out that Star Trek has made EVERY EPISODE OF EVERY SHOW available on their website for free:

http://www.startrek.com/videos

Go forth and receive eternal Star Trek!

The new Star Trek movie was terrible in terms of it's relation to the older existing storyline.

Plus there were a few instances of poorly applied physics.

That's pretty typical of Star Trek - e.g. inertia dampers

I can accept the 'advanced' technology of warp drive, inertia dampers, etc for the sake of a fantasy story.

Just some of the inconsistencies bother me as well as a complete disregard for science.

Reactions: FortyTwo
I can accept the 'advanced' technology of warp drive, inertia dampers, etc for the sake of a fantasy story.

Just some of the inconsistencies bother me as well as a complete disregard for science.

As someone who is very picky about this kind of stuff, I can usually forgive Star Trek because it comes off as more endearing than annoying.

Plus, if you can believe that these:

640px-Sylvia_and_Korob_in_Ornithoid_form.jpg

are the true forms of advanced aliens that access the subconscious mind and use it to create illusion worlds, you can accept things like bad science.

It's like Back to the Future. If you really could travel back in time and end up in 'the same spot' as you were before, you'd end up deep in space even if you tried a one-second jump because Earth is rotating and revolving and so is the sun and even the galaxy is blasting through the cosmos.

Hot damn do I love Star Trek!

I want them to make more series, not more movies. More nerdy, not more cooler!

I've got to say, although the movies (09 and Into Darkness) are definitely VERY different from the original series, I have enjoyed them. They're not good for the same reasons, but they're good for equally valid reasons in my opinion.

As someone who is very picky about this kind of stuff, I can usually forgive Star Trek because it comes off as more endearing than annoying.

Poorly displayed physics still bothers me. :)

accept things like bad science.

Two examples that bothered me were the cold fusion bomb (the cold part doesn't mean it freezes lava, although it's possible it was a very special bomb...), and the second was were the Enterprise was falling towards Earth. It was in orbit around the Moon and somehow it was suddenly "caught in Earth's gravity" then as it rotated, in free fall, the people on the ship felt Earth's gravity constantly pulling them towards Earth, as if they were on the surface, not in free fall some distance above the surface (and atmosphere).

Those among other things.

It's like Back to the Future. If you really could travel back in time and end up in 'the same spot' as you were before, you'd end up deep in space even if you tried a one-second jump because Earth is rotating and revolving and so is the sun and even the galaxy is blasting through the cosmos.

That's all relative. As far as we know there's not absolute positions. Things are relative. :)

Hot damn do I love Star Trek! I want them to make more series, not more movies.
This is the first time in a long time that we haven't had a Star Trek series on television and it's really messing with my brain. Heck, in the nineties we had three Star Trek series and for a while they were even concurrent! I do love the reboot and honestly they've done it exactly right... but I want a series back!

Poorly displayed physics still bothers me. :)
Two examples that bothered me were the cold fusion bomb (the cold part doesn't mean it freezes lava, although it's possible it was a very special bomb...), and the second was were the Enterprise was falling towards Earth. It was in orbit around the Moon and somehow it was suddenly "caught in Earth's gravity" then as it rotated, in free fall, the people on the ship felt Earth's gravity constantly pulling them towards Earth, as if they were on the surface, not in free fall some distance above the surface (and atmosphere).

Those among other things.

What did annoy me was the fact that the Enterprise wasn't falling apart. Something as large and fragile as that would have to be constructed in space and limited to space, like the Discovery One in Space Odyssey. Also, if the hull is weak enough to be penetrated by things that create an obvious impact on the inside, it shouldn't resist water that easily. Warp speed obviously is confounding, especially assuming the Alcubierre aspect, and the idea of both someone "catching up" to warp speed and of an open hole in the ship with people falling out are crazy. And what, we're just supposed to assume that the ship can calculate and avoid stars and other obstructions while it's going ftl?

That being said, I do recognize that these are nitpicks and I don't allow them to hinder my enjoyment of the movie/series. :p

That's all relative. As far as we know there's not absolute positions. Things are relative. :)

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. If we can assume that Doc can make a machine that travels through time it should be a simple matter for him to calculate where the Earth was in a given year.

B-b-b-but

Yeah, but when I saw Anton Yelchin I was like
George-Takei-oh-my.jpg

Reactions: ledboots