Spring Vegetables

I got a juicer a month or so ago... I can hardly wait to make some rhubarb juice. Going to have to wait 2-3 weeks as my rhubarb is just coming up. My wife thinks I'm insane, but I love sour stuff.

I've never heard of rhubarb juice.
I really like it for making desserts and unfortunately it is far too expensive overhere. Let us know the end results.

I've never heard of rhubarb juice.
I really like it for making desserts and unfortunately it is far too expensive overhere. Let us know the end results.

I haven't heard of it either, but it sounds delish, so I'm going to make it. I'm a big fan of eating raw rhubarb too. I'm thinking rhubarb carrot juice will be very good.

Reactions: KLS52 and shyvas
Rhubarb is also another vegetable I haven't tried. I see it in the stores, but I have no idea how to cook it or what it tastes like. Is it sour raw but becomes sweet when cooked?

Rhubarb is also another vegetable I haven't tried. I see it in the stores, but I have no idea how to cook it or what it tastes like. Is it sour raw but becomes sweet when cooked?

My mother used to buy and cook it a long time ago. I think it's like cranberries - you have to add sugar to make it palatable and cut the sour taste.

One of the best things you can do with rhubarb is make a pie with it.
grin.gif
hungry-gif.2432

My mother used to buy and cook it a long time ago. I think it's like cranberries - you have to add sugar to make it palatable and cut the sour taste.

grin.gif
hungry-gif.2432

Heresy.

I do love me some rhubarb pie though. Rhubarb strawberry pie is quite good too... and oh rhubarb cobbler.

Reactions: Freesia
I love rhubarb. My grandmother used to grow it. I haven't had it in ages. Goes good in apple pie, too.

Rhubarb juice sounds very appealing to me! :)

Reactions: shyvas and Forster

grin.gif
hungry-gif.2432

Yeah in the grocery stores here the rhubarb is placed right next to the strawberries for pie making. I've never had strawberry rhubarb pie. Sounds good though.

Overall rhubarb doesn't seem all that versatile. Just used mainly in desserts. I'd still like to try eventually.

Reactions: KLS52
It makes an awesome jam, warm rhubarb sauce is nice as well.

I have always grown rhubarb (it suits our climate). I have heard (don't know if true) that the roots must freeze solid over the winter for it to come up good in the spring. It isn't harmed by hard frosts either, we had a week or two of snow and getting down to 10-15 F, didn't bother the plants at all.

Yeah in the grocery stores here the rhubarb is placed right next to the strawberries for pie making. I've never had strawberry rhubarb pie. Sounds good though.

Overall rhubarb doesn't seem all that versatile. Just used mainly in desserts. I'd still like to try eventually.
Strawberry rhubarb pie is the best thing in the world. :)

I bought 6 ears of corn yesterday, and I was just cooking them, and planned to shave the kernels off to go in the black bean tacos I'm making tonight.

I just ate 2 of the ears, they were so sweet and good. :)

I love fresh corn and can't wait to eat some next week, when I'll be in the US.