Spring Vegetables

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
The month of May has finally arrived. It's the period where there are an array of gorgeous Spring vegetables available in the shops.
The f vegetables that come to mind are peas, mange tout, asparagus and tiny violet artichokes.

One of my most favourite Spring treats is the Jersey Royal. Even if it is not considered a vegetable is one of the tastiest foods ever.

images

images

images

Jersey Royals

images

Spring vegetables with aiolli

Last edited:
I love artichokes but I refuse to pay $4 for one. :(

They are 3 dollars here. Organic too, and totally hugenormous. I'll hold one for you. :yes:

Artichokes intimidate me. They look so complicated to prep and cook. I just buy the jarred ones.:oops:

You can do it! :yes:

I work in produce to get free artichokes. I eat like a king who eats old produce that no longer looks appealing to customers! A king I say!

Artichokes intimidate me. They look so complicated to prep and cook. I just buy the jarred ones.:oops:

They really aren't complicated. You snip off the tips of the leaves with kitchen shears and throw the artichokes into a pot of boiling water. Cook until soft, but don't overcook. (Check the internet for complete instructions.)

You can eat them either hot or cold. We always had them hot with melted butter (Earth Balance is fine, too) and lemon juice to pour over the artichokes. You scrape the "meaty" ends of the leaves off with your teeth, eat that and discard the rest of each leaf. When you get to the middle of the artichoke, or the "choke", clean off the inedible parts and eat the edible heart. Mmmmm...

They are quite easy to prepare, however you do have to know a few basics :
Cut the stem, boil or steam until cooked. Tear off the fist few leaves that are at the base. Eat the tip of each leave and when you get to the heart - scoop out of the fuzzy stuff. You than have the artichoke heart which normally is the best part of the artichoke.

I don't like cooked artichokes only the small violet ones that are in season in Spring and are eaten raw.

Ooh I never saw those tiny artichokes! I love cooked artichokes and dip them in melted earth balance and a ton of fresh lemon juice mixed. Artichoke gearts I also buy when on sale and love them on pizza, salads, cooked or uncooked. :D

Ooh I never saw those tiny artichokes! I love cooked artichokes and dip them in melted earth balance and a ton of fresh lemon juice mixed. Artichoke gearts I also buy when on sale and love them on pizza, salads, cooked or uncooked. :D

They are called small violet artichokes and are only available in Spring. They are usually eaten raw with an evo dipping sauce. You can also make an artichoke stew by adding tomatoes, garlic and onion.
I only like raw artichokes as I find cooked ones have a strange taste.

Artichoke and black olive pizza.

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots
I have never seen violet artichokes. I also don't know that a Jersey Royal is - a small potato? And a mange tout? All of your pictures look lovely, Shyvas, and I'd love to try all of them!

*exits to google mange tout*

Snow peas! I love them!

Reactions: shyvas
I have never seen violet artichokes. I also don't know that a Jersey Royal is - a small potato? And a mange tout? All of your pictures look lovely, Shyvas, and I'd love to try all of them!

Snow peas! I love them!

You call them snow peas in the US Poppy.

A Jersey Royal is a new potato grown on the Island of Jersey and just tastes out of this world.

Jersey Royal New Potatoes - Recipes - News

Last edited:

Snow peas! I love them!

Mange tout means literally 'eat all' which you can do as the pod is so tender and sweet. ;)

I've seen those very small artichokes at Whole Foods. Starting in spring, usually well into summer.

On Saturday I'm going to stuff my Costco artichokes (I don't know what with, yet), and cook them in the slow cooker.

I've seen those very small artichokes at Whole Foods. Starting in spring, usually well into summer.

On Saturday I'm going to stuff my Costco artichokes (I don't know what with, yet), and cook them in the slow cooker.

I was going to say WF's as you find virtually everything in the store.

Here is a link where you have lots of spring vegetable recipes. There is one for stuffed artichokes with mushrooms. Black olives pair well with artichokes.

http://www.saveur.com/article/-/Vegetarian-Recipes-for-Spring

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
This thread is making me exceedingly hungry. :bang:

btw, one of my favorite pizza toppings are marinated artichoke hearts. :drool:

I am very lazy with my veggie selection. I usually buy tomatoes, mushrooms, courgette, sweet potatoes, carrots and onions. round and round. Hopefully Ill see some veggies in here that take my fancy and I can branch out and try more varied.

I dont believe Ive ever had artichoke, whats the flavour like?

I like my artichokes stuffed with breadcrumb stuffing. :)