Speaking of birthdays...

TofuRobot

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
They do this thing where I work where if it's your birthday, HR will make a big deal of decorating your cubicle/office/workspace with stuff for the day... Which by itself is kinda cool. However, I have a pretty strong distaste for some of the "stuff" they use to do it. Balloons are among my biggest peeves in that collection of stuff. ...

I'm about to do that awkward thing of approaching HR to request they leave out balloons and/or anything plasticy or bad for the environment. I can't shake the feeling of feeling ungrateful, but I know they're going to do it, and I just really hate balloons. Has anyone ever encountered this scenario before? How did you handle it?

PS. Balloons blow. https://balloonsblow.org/

I think the main issue with balloons is releasing them. You know, like at an outdoor event when they release hundreds of helium-filled balloons that eventually end up in rivers, lakes and the ocean.

A dozen balloons at an office party, don't improve the environment in any way. but compared to the hundreds of other things that companies do wrong* - it probably doesn't even register.

* leave the lights on all night, overheat, over cool, not recycling, etc

Reactions: TofuRobot
@Lou Yeah - that is a big issue for sure, but I really don't like balloons at all. Never have. They are dangerous "toys" to have around children, and they fall in line with plastic water bottles, straws, produce packed in plastic... Just completely unnecessary waste that never biodegrades. And for sure there are a lot of other things the business does that is wasteful, and of the ones I can, I opt out (I don't use the paper cups, and I always use a rag when other people are using paper towels, etc). Everyone has a 'thing' - and this is just one of those 'things' of mine. Pretty much everyone I know knows not to give me balloons for my birthday (or funeral, lol).

I would hate it if anyone put anything on my desk. I like to work in a pristine environment. I have the same feeling about tinsel; I just hate it, it looks trashy. I warn people to bypass my desk at Christmas time. To show that I get into the spirit I hang 1 bauble on my desk... lol

• Haha
Reactions: TofuRobot
I would hate it if anyone put anything on my desk. I like to work in a pristine environment. I have the same feeling about tinsel; I just hate it, it looks trashy. I warn people to bypass my desk at Christmas time. To show that I get into the spirit I hang 1 bauble on my desk... lol
Same here, @betiPT - tinsel, and Easter grass - gross! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: betiPT