Soy Curl Inflammation?

MoreGreens

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've only read good things about soy curls and considering they're made from whole soy beans, I bought some to further lure my husband to the healthy side.

Disclosure: because of various digestive issues, I always introduce new foods with only tried and true foods and spices

Two things about soy curls bother me.
One is on me... they look so much like meat! After rehydrating, I wasn't expecting to feel such a wave of revulsion (my husband had the exact opposite reaction and has been eating the leftovers with glee)

Two is the point of the post. After eating the soy curls for dinner, I woke up at 2AM with major bloating (I consume soy all the time via tofu, milk and tempeh) and when I stood up, my knees ached. Inflammation was one of the things that led me to stop dabbling between vegetarianism and veganism. (some people need a heart attack and I needed achy joints) I haven't had TVP in years so I have no idea if that would cause the same sort of issue for me. I suppose it could be psychosomatic, but I hope my brain doesn't have that much control over the rest of me!

What I'd like to know is whether anyone who consumes soy has had an adverse reaction to soy curls?

You're talking about Butler soy curls, right?
They are just non gmo soy beans, and filtered water. I have no reaction to them at all.
Even Dr Greger gives his approval.

The first couple years veg I couldn't stand the sight or textures of things reminiscent of meats, but now that I've so disconnected to meats I really love the varieties of processed foods. I'm really trying to avoid processed, so I adore soy curls!
I have arthritis and processed foods do cause flare ups, as does use of oils and sugars

I love the Butler Soy Curls, was going to reorder some soon as they are not sold right around here. I have had issues with TVP, although only minor and usually in the form of gas or if I eat a lot without greens some stool issues, I have not experienced any issues with the soy curls. I wonder, did you use some other ingredient that may cause such an issue? Too much salt? Maybe it has to do with eating more soy in a dish with the curls than you would otherwise with tofu? I do wonder what the problem you are having is.

You're talking about Butler soy curls, right?
They are just non gmo soy beans, and filtered water. I have no reaction to them at all.
Even Dr Greger gives his approval.

The first couple years veg I couldn't stand the sight or textures of things reminiscent of meats, but now that I've so disconnected to meats I really love the varieties of processed foods. I'm really trying to avoid processed, so I adore soy curls!
I have arthritis and processed foods do cause flare ups, as does use of oils and sugars

Yes, Butler's, sorry I should've been clearer. Thanks for the positive feedback.
I'm dismayed, because I didn't expect them to cause any sort of issue. (I'll have to try them again, because husband loves them.) I did treat it as a throwaway meal, eating it on flour tortilla with only taco seasoning... while nutrient lacking nothing should've led to my knees aching.

I too avoid all the processed 'meat' replacements, because as far as my body is concerned I may as well be eating fast food. Yes to less oil and sugar. Oil has always treated me as badly, but sugar remains a seductress who I have to limit to the occasional cup of tea. But, I agree, all that leads to inflammation.

Thanks again for sharing! Maybe I should be blaming the weather ;)

Reactions: Emma JC
I love the Butler Soy Curls, was going to reorder some soon as they are not sold right around here. I have had issues with TVP, although only minor and usually in the form of gas or if I eat a lot without greens some stool issues, I have not experienced any issues with the soy curls. I wonder, did you use some other ingredient that may cause such an issue? Too much salt? Maybe it has to do with eating more soy in a dish with the curls than you would otherwise with tofu? I do wonder what the problem you are having is.
I have no idea, honestly. I ate it with just flour tortilla and taco seasoning. I use the same with tofu and/or beans all the time with no issue. No digestive problems, either, which is consistent with other soy I use. Idk, like I joked to Silva... maybe it was the weather... I'm going to try them again, when there's no rain a comin'!
I feel so old even considering the weather, and I've had barometric migraines before!

• Friendly
A suggestion as I often forget to do this as well especially with seitan: Make certain to eat a fair amount of foods high in fiber with any meal that is very high in protein. As vegans, I feel that we tend to get used to the idea that we don't have to worry about some of the same bowel issues that carnists have as much as we tend to eat a lot of fiber. Only for this idea to be broken the next day after eating a seitan steak with only a few cubes of potato and cranberry sauce for dinner, a meal that has almost no fiber. Those days are not fun.

Yes, Butler's, sorry I should've been clearer. Thanks for the positive feedback.
I'm dismayed, because I didn't expect them to cause any sort of issue. (I'll have to try them again, because husband loves them.) I did treat it as a throwaway meal, eating it on flour tortilla with only taco seasoning... while nutrient lacking nothing should've led to my knees aching.

I too avoid all the processed 'meat' replacements, because as far as my body is concerned I may as well be eating fast food. Yes to less oil and sugar. Oil has always treated me as badly, but sugar remains a seductress who I have to limit to the occasional cup of tea. But, I agree, all that leads to inflammation.

Thanks again for sharing! Maybe I should be blaming the weather ;)
For me it's the flour tortilla that raises a red flag! Or maybe if you used a seasoning packet that may have had something different?
Maybe go a while before trying again to see. Sometimes aches aren't always explained.

A suggestion as I often forget to do this as well especially with seitan: Make certain to eat a fair amount of foods high in fiber with any meal that is very high in protein. As vegans, I feel that we tend to get used to the idea that we don't have to worry about some of the same bowel issues that carnists have as much as we tend to eat a lot of fiber. Only for this idea to be broken the next day after eating a seitan steak with only a few cubes of potato and cranberry sauce for dinner, a meal that has almost no fiber. Those days are not fun.
Thankfully, I'm safe there. I don't eat seitan... never developed a taste for it. And, I'm always taking care of my intestines, having been through all the FODMAP tests. My body almost always loves veganism.

• Friendly
For me it's the flour tortilla that raises a red flag! Or maybe if you used a seasoning packet that may have had something different?
Maybe go a while before trying again to see. Sometimes aches aren't always explained.
Hmm, fair. I don't eat a lot of white flour products, but I do use them for cheats. (can't tolerate fructans or I'd eat whole wheat... and did for years much to my detriment). I usually make corn tortillas... but we all like an indulgence! It could've been random. I was just shocked because I've been eating super clean recently. My chronometer obsession has been renewed, and I want 100% of everything. And, maybe I answered my own question. I didn't truly understand the extent of my lactose intolerance until I went eight weeks without any lactose. Perhaps I'm more sensitive to gluten than I realized and it's showing because I eat it so seldom

Thankfully, I'm safe there. I don't eat seitan... never developed a taste for it. And, I'm always taking care of my intestines, having been through all the FODMAP tests. My body almost always loves veganism.
My point is that whenever you eat a meal with a lot of protein and very little fiber, to make certain to add some foods that are high in fiber. The symptoms you described seemed to be similar to what happens when someone eats too little fiber and too much protein in a single meal. I used seitan as an example, soy curls are also very high in fiber and the rest of the ingredients seemed to be low in fiber as well. Anyways, just a thought the next time you end up feeling that way again.

My point is that whenever you eat a meal with a lot of protein and very little fiber, to make certain to add some foods that are high in fiber. The symptoms you described seemed to be similar to what happens when someone eats too little fiber and too much protein in a single meal. I used seitan as an example, soy curls are also very high in fiber and the rest of the ingredients seemed to be low in fiber as well. Anyways, just a thought the next time you end up feeling that way again.
Ah, I misunderstood what you were saying. I apologize. That's definitely something to consider and to factor into my next soy curl adventure. Thanks!