Vegan Southern Fried Tofish with Mustard Dip

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Vegetable oil for frying(peanut oil is quite nice)
1 cup soy or almond milk
Juice of 1 lemon
1 container firm tofu,frozen,thawed, and pressed (important step)
3/4 c. Zatarain's Crispy Southern Style Seasoned fish Fry
Ground black pepper
Hot pepper sauce (optional)

Prepare Tofu:

Freeze tofu (I toss the entire carton as is into the freezer),thaw, and press well. Tofu should be firm and nice and dry.If you don't own a tofu press,a towel and any heavy object (I use my slow cooker)placed on top will work just as well.
Slice tofu into fish stick shapes or squares ,(which work nicely if you wish to make a tofish sandwich), about 1/2 inch in thickness.
Prepare three plates, one for the milk,one for the fish fry mix,and another for the tofu slices.
Place sliced tofu on a plate,squeeze lemon juice over slices,and allow to marinate for about ten minutes.Sprinkle with black pepper.
Dredge by placing tofu in fish fry,milk,fish fry, in that order. On the last step,press tofu firmly into fish fry mix,coating both sides well.
Place tofu back on plate,put plate of tofu in the fridge for about one hour (this steps helps the fish fry to adhere to the tofish and is very important to assure the breading stays on ).

Frying tofish:

Heat a little oil to large skillet (about 1/3 full). Fry tofish,turning to cook on both sides,about 2-3 min on each side. Drain on paper toweling. Serve with mustard dip or cocktail sauce and a splash of hot pepper sauce if desired.

Mustard Dip:

1/2 c vegan mayo
3 TBS spicy or plain mustard
2TBS sugar or 1/2 tsp agave
2 sprinkles dried dill (optional)

If you prefer, you may make your own cornmeal coating:
  • 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup corn flour or all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • 1/4 tsp lemon pepper
The tofish can be baked at 400 degrees on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet until lightly browned, but won't be quite as crispy as the fried version.

I make something very similar to this. I don't necessarily press the tofu, although I drain it well. (Unpressed, it has a lighter consistency, which I like in contrast to the crispiness of the breading.) I cut the tofu into very thin slices, dip the slices in flour, then in soymilk or beer, then in cornmeal that has been salted and heavily seasoned with Zatarain's seasoning. The flour step keeps the breading on during the frying process.

I'll have to try the lemon - that sounds wonderful!

This sounds good. Does it have a "fishy" flavor? I'm pregnant and have been craving fish and chips with tartar and cocktail sauce!!

This sounds good. Does it have a "fishy" flavor? I'm pregnant and have been craving fish and chips with tartar and cocktail sauce!!

Try adding kelp powder to the breading mix. A couple teaspoons or so maybe. That's what another recipe I had called for. I am SO trying this one because it's less time consuming. Fish is the only omni food I miss.

Ok I need some vegan chef help. I can't find Zatarain's fish fry. Any tips on how to make something close? I found a Louisana fish fry that is vegan but has MSG and would rather avoid that if I could make something easily. I have another recipe for tofu fish batter but it's time consuming. I was looking forward to using a premade mix. :(

Edit: A quick Internet search says the local Squall-Mart has it. Guess I'll put on my body armor and go see if they actually do some time.

If you can get the Zatarian's seasoning, you can just dump a whole bunch of into some cornmeal, add salt, and you'll be good to go.