Some garbage propaganda for you

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So I see this article before work earlier and I finally decide to read it while I'm waiting for the bus and it's all lies.

It starts out how there are nutritional deficiencies in wealthy countries then lists all these reasons like cheap junk food.

It doesn't even get to veganism for two paragraphs then says it PROBABLY WILL increase deficiencies.

People wonder why some vegans are angry. Just look at this tripe.

https://www.sciencealert.com/veganism-is-increasing-malnutrition-in-wealthy-countries/amp

Reactions: FlandersOD
My newsfeed looks for articles on Veganism, so it popped this one up.

I was going to post this article too. I decided not to mention it because I know that some of our fellow Vegan Forum members are having trouble with high blood pressure and I didn't want to kill anyone.

although I too think that the article is awful, I thought they did a very good job of being misleading without actually being factually incorrect. Might be a good HW assignment for students studying propaganda.

My newsfeed looks for articles on Veganism, so it popped this one up.

I was going to post this article too. I decided not to mention it because I know that some of our fellow Vegan Forum members are having trouble with high blood pressure and I didn't want to kill anyone.

although I too think that the article is awful, I thought they did a very good job of being misleading without actually being factually incorrect. Might be a good HW assignment for students studying propaganda.

Oh yes it's because it's by scientists. Scientists are the worst, that's something we talk about in my major. I had to take one class in particular where we did an entire unit on the way that all science is basically conducted, and how science can be artfully manipulated by people funding studies.

Of course I had already figured that out from being vegan, because I knew there was this study where they said meat was more sustainable than veggies - at least that's what the media said. The actual study is more difficult for people to read if they've never been to college at all for anything, or if they are college educated but in a rush...so anyway, the parameters of the actual study were comparing meat to lettuce, which of course is a false comparison, lettuce is very low in calories and protein and is not beans or tofu. Furthermore, the meat was raw. And almost no one eats raw meat. So all the study really proved was that a diet of entirely or mostly lettuce is less sustainable than eating raw flesh. Well.

I also had a great professor at my other school when I was getting my Associates. She had us watch Merchants of Doubt about how stats can be manipulated to lie about things like climate change, and it shows the history of the tobacco industry as well.

I was looking back over lecture slides for one of this past semester's classes and I came across another great example of a group misusing stats. The article says "Arctic Sea Ice Reaches 1989 Levels" and then the professor posts a graph of Arctic sea ice and for like one month the ice was the same level of 1989 but for the rest of the year was dramatically below it. So technically they weren't lying. Like that first article. It makes me so sad too because the average person just looks at all of these articles and doesn't know who to believe. The same professor gave us a lecture on why climate skeptics are never correct and how we can tell them so, but I have my doubts on any real, professed "skeptic" listening at all.

• Friendly
Reactions: FlandersOD