So i tried dried seaweed

Kellyr

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
:joy:

While shopping at the grocery store yesterday, I was in the Asian section and saw packets of dried seaweed snacks and decided "sure, why not" and grabbed a packet.

I was thinking I would like it because I enjoy sushi rolls and the flavor the seaweed imparts there. I also have some nori that I tear up and put into some soups every now and then and enjoy the flavor.

But yikes! Just eating one of these things by itself? Ugh! It tasted just like fish - and even when I was omni I HATED fish (about the only fish I tolerated was ono or ahi tuna because it had such a mild flavor.)

Now I need to try to find someone to give these to - or maybe I'll just hold onto them and stir them into soups or something like I do with nori.

Yeah, they do taste fishy! It freaks me out a little bit, but then I think it's probably just the sea taste, not specifically the taste of fish. I agree that it's nice in soups.

@Kellyr

Hmm, you could give it to me, if I lived nearby ;)

I love seaweed snacks. I have to wonder if you tried one that was meant for soups or something. Those types tend to be very fishy tasting. Laver is most often the type used for seaweed snacks, which differs from Nori, and of course there's dulse, which I also love. Annie Chun's brand, seaweed snacks, I find quite tasty. I do not find Annie's fishy at all. However, I don't eat those kinds of seaweeds snacks very often, simply because of all the added oils.

If you're trying to add seaweed to your diet for your required iodine content, dulse might be a better option. I don't find dulse fishy at all, and it doesn't have the added oil. It's more salty than anything. There's many types of edible seaweeds. They all taste slightly different, in my humble opinion. Don't let one kind discourage you from trying others. Sea veggies often have way more nutrients than anything grown on land.

I keep meaning to get some sea weed to try. Just haven't got round to it yet. Where is the best place to start looking for seaweed? As a vegan I miss fish so a fishy taste definitely enhances seaweed to me.

Where is the best place to start looking for seaweed?

Uhm...at the beach ;) *snickers* The funny thing is I actually used to gather fresh dulse from the beach when I was a kid.

It depends where you live, I guess. I can buy it just about anywhere. Most grocery stores here in Canada will carry it. It also depends on what kind of seaweed you want to try. I love dulse, but here on the west coast I have to look for it. I can still find it, but usually at specialty stores or nutrition shops. If you have an Amazon account, they might carry it where you live. Amazon.ca has it.

It depends where you live, I guess. I can buy it just about anywhere. Most grocery stores here in Canada will carry it. It also depends on what kind of seaweed you want to try. I love dulse, but here on the west coast I have to look for it. I can still find it, but usually at specialty stores or nutrition shops. If you have an Amazon account, they might carry it where you live. Amazon.ca has it.

Thanks for your help.

I like salted nori. You may have accidentally grabbed dulse, which is a key ingredient in vegan "tuna."

I like dried seaweed but I had this reaction to the DHA Earth Balance. It's "fishy." It's not fish, it's that you are eating what fish eat.