Snacks in between meals

A banana peanut butter chocolate shake:

Frozen banana pieces (including peel), 2 spoonfuls of peanut butter, cocoa powder, date syrup and even a spoonful of kale powder (which everything else overpowered taste wise). It was delicious.

A little less water and it could have passed for ice cream.

Last edited:
Reactions: hopeful
@Nekodaiden

Does the peel alter the taste at all? I have never tried it and am wondering.

To be honest, it's been a long while since I tried eating/tasting the peel on it's own. I know in some cultures the peel is actually cooked on it's own and eaten. So that being said, I honestly don't remember except for a vague recollection of it tasting rather like nothing. Bland.

I use bananas that are just yellow, not green or overly spotted. When I get them I wash them* then just cut them into small cylinders as they are, then freeze them until I want to use them in a shake or as a base for banana ice cream.

*Washing the peels is suggested especially if the bananas you purchase are not organic, as I understand they are subject to pesticides.

Reactions: hopeful
Oatcakes, nuts and dates (and water). I take a healthy supply anywhere if I'm going to be out for a few hours - all quite calorie-dense, so there's never any need to go hungry.

Reactions: Nekodaiden
Roasted chickpeas are addictive. There's tons of great recipes for them out there on the net.

My usual snacks tend to be fruit - usually what's in season. I also have mixed nuts around if I want something savory/salty.

Salted dark chocolate is also a favorite.

Oh yeah - and "energy balls". I figured out how to make that chocolate peppermint brownie Larabar flavor at home. It's a nice, indulgent treat.

At the moment I'm having a drink made from whole, just sprouted barley that has been crushed and gently heated. It is unlike barley tea in that it hasn't been roasted, and is not a clear extract into the liquid. Rather it's somewhat thick and cloudy. Sweetened with a little sugar because I don't have any date sugar on hand and couldn't be bothered to make some just for this. It is quite tasty and I am very curious as to the mineral and vitamin quantities in it, and any enzymes that are present.

I will, however, caution you, as I find seaweed snacks highly addictive. Eating too much can result in thyroid issues, as a result of consuming too much iodine.

Underactive thyroid or hyperthyroid? I was born with an under active thyroid.
I've never really tried seaweed though. Sounds good and nutritious though.

I don't really eat between meals. I used to eat nuts and crisps but then it caused me to gain too much weight so the only thing I have between meals is water and herbal tea.

Roasted barley "coffee"

I had to try this. Simple to make, no sprouting required.

Method used:

Take whole barley which includes the germ and bran, and roast to desired darkness. Blend fine in a blender. Add to French press. Boil water, add to press. Add press but do not plunge. Wait 5-10 minutes to allow infusion of water soluble B vitamins and minerals into the hot water. Press, pour.

Tastes similar to coffee. Vitamin and mineral content will vary on how much is used and how long infused.

Simpler version of banana chocolate drink:

Water, Frozen banana pieces (including peel*), peanut butter, dates(heated in water to soften), cocoa powder, well blended.

Soooo delicious.

Guilt free and nutritious also:

* If peel is included (do, because it's good for you), wash it before freezing banana pieces.

Last edited:
A mix of sprouted barley, cocoa powder and dates in a hot drink with Tahini milk.

I had an apple earlier today as a snack, and I will probably have another snack (maybe coconut based yogurt) tonight before bed.

Roasted chickpeas are addictive. There's tons of great recipes for them out there on the net.

My usual snacks tend to be fruit - usually what's in season. I also have mixed nuts around if I want something savory/salty.

Salted dark chocolate is also a favorite.

I make these very often! Thanks to @Veganite for initially mentioning it - even though I liked his post I totally forgot he had.

I've tried this with lentil sprouts as well. Didn't come out quite as well, but still good.