Snacks in between meals

Nekodaiden

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What you might have in between meals if you haven't eaten enough for a main meal.

Today's snack was a chocolate/peanut butter/banana and other goodie shake:

-Frozen banana pieces including peel (handful)
- flax seeds (small handful)
- pumpkin seeds (small handful)
-peanut butter (desert spoon)
-cocoa powder (about a desert spoon full)
-2 pitted medjool dates
-water to desired consistency

Flax, pumpkin dry blended separately. Banana, peanut butter and dates blended in small amount of water till smooth, then balance of ingredients and water added for final blend.

It was very yummy. Sometimes if I want it to stick longer I'll add oats as well.

Today, coffee. I heat the hot water with a spoonful of tahini and drink the coffee like that so I'm counting it as a snack :p

I eat a lot of snacks because I hike and camp and am away from home in general being a student (and before that a self-employed city dweller).

I've gotten better about carrying sustainable items like bananas, half peanut butter and blackberry jam sandwiches, and pumpkin seeds from the bulk bin at the co-op. I also do a thing now where I split an avocado in half and eat it straight from the skin with a spoon.

But in my illustrious time as a vegan I have resorted to individual cans of V-8 juice, mini cups of hummus from Costco, lots and lots of mandarin orange or apple sauce fruit cups, 59 cent packs of sunflower seeds from 7-11, and that CVS drug store brand of fruit bars (mmm strawberry), Kind bars, and when I lived in L.A. for a while I had a serious potato chip problem (especially salt n vinegar).

There are quite a lot of vegan-friendly snack foods out there in mainstream or corporate stores that aren't expensive and also aren't cookies or candy, if you don't mind buying individually portioned packaged foods. Naked juices are another good one, especially the smoothies.

If we are speaking of beverages, coffee or red wine are my favorites.

Reactions: Nekodaiden
I tried roasting my own sunflower seeds today (in hard shell/hull). I was pleasantly surprised, as these things are just a pain to de-hull in my experience. Basically cooked them in a shallow bath of salt water until that evaporated then cooked them some more till the outer shells are very dry. They are edible this way and the inside is still soft with the seed.

A drink made from a single apple, some dates, un-hulled sesame seed milk, cinnamon and water, blended.

Hmm, I don't really count meals. So every snack to me is potentially a meal. If I did want something to hold me over I would probably eat carrot and/or celery sticks with some hummus. I can think of lots of things to snack on. I love love love kale chips. I like roasted veggies like asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. for snacking. I like roasted chickpeas. I love guacamole and tortilla chips. I could easily make a meal out guacamole, salsa & chips. Fresh melon in the summer months is really refreshing as a snack.

I ate enough for mains and didn't do much today so really no snacks, except for a little sesame seed milk (un hulled tahini and water, blended) on it's own and with coffee.

Reactions: betiPT
Does anyone like seaweed snacks? I love dulse and dried laver as a snack.

Seaweed is much more nutrient dense than any land vegetables. It is an excellent source of micronutrients including folate, calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, and selenium. More importantly, seaweed is a great source of iodine, which some people tend to fall deficient on. Unlike land plants, seaweed contains preformed omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA, so seaweed or algae can be a reliable source of omega-3 for vegans.

I will, however, caution you, as I find seaweed snacks highly addictive. Eating too much can result in thyroid issues, as a result of consuming too much iodine.

My spouse commutes to work and I always make sure he has snacks in his backpack.

Combo of walnuts, pecans, peanuts, cashews, dried cranberries.
Oil free pretzels.
Larabar or two.

As I work from home my snacks are usually a handful of nuts, an apple or a few pretzels.

Emma JC

I just eat two meals a day consisting of about 1800 calories. If I’m hiking/camping I’ll make oat cinnamon banana bars for extra fiberous calories.

Does anyone like seaweed snacks? I love dulse and dried laver as a snack.

Seaweed is much more nutrient dense than any land vegetables. It is an excellent source of micronutrients including folate, calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, and selenium. More importantly, seaweed is a great source of iodine, which some people tend to fall deficient on. Unlike land plants, seaweed contains preformed omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA, so seaweed or algae can be a reliable source of omega-3 for vegans.

I will, however, caution you, as I find seaweed snacks highly addictive. Eating too much can result in thyroid issues, as a result of consuming too much iodine.

I occasionally munch on dried seaweed. I bought it for the iodine but have mostly neglected adding it to dishes/sauces. I find it tasty :)

Reactions: Veganite
I think a lot of people are afraid of eating seaweed, if they've never tried it. The roasted laver seaweed snacks are delicious. I also grew up on the east coast of Canada, where dulse is native. I used to walk with my mom and dad as a kid along the ocean, where we'd gather up fresh dulse and bring it home. I think growing up eating the stuff as part of the normal routine helped me like it a lot. I now live on the west coast of Canada, but fortunately dulse is still available here. Dulse to me is one heck of a delicious snack. One I would not like going without ;)

Some of these snacks look more like meals, but they do look really yummy, nonetheless. Click here

I munched on seaweed last night (dried Wakame)

Today sometime after lunch I had a large glass of oat milk that I made from pulverized rolled oats and water. I've also been snacking on roasted sunflower seeds.

My friend made me a delicious chai latte made with almond milk and agave nectar instead of honey. I do miss being able to get chai lattes, but this one was even better than the ones I used to get. :)

Anyone ever try pan or oven roasting chickpeas for a snack? I lightly salt them with a touch of curry. It's fast and makes a great and healthy snack for movie night.

I also love doing vegan style nachos. I don't need the cheese topping, if I have guacamole ;p

Air popped popcorn is another very simple and delicious snack I love. It's fast and easy, and has lots of possibilities.

I also love roasted seeds...mainly pumpkin seeds, but I like sunflower too.

Reactions: Nekodaiden
@Veganite I have never tried roasting chickpeas myself, but I have ones that are already roasted. They're good!

I LOVE nachos! I seriously need to make some now. I have avocado, black beans, and I think (hopefully) tortilla chips.

Reactions: Veganite
I like nuts for snack very much. And cutted fruits salads too, mostly in summer.