Snacking Late at Night

I have to agree with the commenters who said that the author doesn't take into account individual needs. What and when one eats depends on the individual. I've eaten late at night with rarely any negative consequences.

Furthermore, not eating late at night and fasting from 8 pm to 8 am is a modern idea. Ages ago, humans had a different pattern. They'd go to bed early and sleep for about 4 to 6 hours, then get up, have a meal, visit with the neighbors, sit by the fire and read, etc. Then they'd go back to bed and sleep until sunrise and then get up and have breakfast. Mealtime and sleep habits and medical ideas surrounding them change with the generations.

Ages ago, humans had a different pattern. They'd go to bed early and sleep for about 4 to 6 hours, then get up, have a meal, visit with the neighbors, sit by the fire and read, etc. Then they'd go back to bed and sleep until sunrise and then get up and have breakfast.

Oh my gosh...this is where my crazy sleep pattern comes from! I knew I was an ancient! :)

I combat nighttime snacking by eating a bigger dinner. I find that I'm not nearly as hungry if I have a satisfying, filling dinner.

Reactions: ledboots
There are also people who have to take medication at night that needs to be taken with food.

As others pointed out in the comments, these articles aren't written by experts, just people with blogs and care2 reposts them on their site. This blog post comes from a site selling retail products.

Reactions: Amy SF
I go to bed too early most nights to have night time snacking be an issue. :)

I also go to bed early when I work.
However, I always have a snack after dinner as I feel slightly peckish. I'm usually good as I have
some fruit or apple purée.:p

I tend to "need" some kind of snack/sweet after dinner. I think it helps complete the meal for me so I feel more satisfied. As long as I don't overdo it by eating an entire pint of So Delicious and stick to a serving size it tend to works for me. A cookie/biscuit or two and a cup of tea does nicely.

Reactions: PTree15
I tend to "need" some kind of snack/sweet after dinner. I think it helps complete the meal for me so I feel more satisfied. As long as I don't overdo it by eating an entire pint of So Delicious and stick to a serving size it tend to works for me. A cookie/biscuit or two and a cup of tea does nicely.

That was exactly the term that I was looking for.:D

Reactions: KLS52
That is a good tip. I also try and make a point of eating enough protein which prevents me having hunger pangs.
Same here on the protein. It really makes a difference in my feeling fuller.

Strange... the article says that eating late before bedtime will keep you from sleeping, but in my experience, a large meal makes me sleepy. What I DO worry about if I'm thinking about a big meal late at night is: when I sleep, my metabolism slows down- and I'm thinking that since there's a lot of sugar surging into my bloodstream from the digesting food, but I'm not burning it up because I'm not active, it might make me insulin-resistant, and then diabetic.

Strange... the article says that eating late before bedtime will keep you from sleeping, but in my experience, a large meal makes me sleepy. What I DO worry about if I'm thinking about a big meal late at night is: when I sleep, my metabolism slows down- and I'm thinking that since there's a lot of sugar surging into my bloodstream from the digesting food, but I'm not burning it up because I'm not active, it might make me insulin-resistant, and then diabetic.

I think that it is also important to be active during the day and not just after a meal.