Small Home Living (and Simple Living)

tumblr_mvucnuoiYJ1qbe766o2_1280.jpg

NOMAD, less than $30,000

Oh hell no!! That's an accident just waiting to happen. And by accident I mean plummeting to your death.

Reactions: Dropkick and Poppy
I can't imagine it would really be unsafe. I'm just too phobic to feel comfortable in it.

No it's not that, it's the not very high plank of wood that's not necessarily going to stop you from hurtling over the side....

I'd need a proper bedroom. I can't go up and down stairs (or worse yet a ladder) to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. The place is cute.

But again, I wish simpler more affordable housing would be built

Reactions: thefadedone
In my tiny house the mattress was right against the edge without any rail. No one fell out of bed, not in three years. :p It was a little... worrying, at first. That rail really would keep people in though, that's all it takes.

Yay tiny houses! I still love them. :smitten: I'm going to move back into my 350sq/ft house next year, in September, probably. It's a good sized house for one person. :yes:

I couldn't live in the middle of Montana alone. Too scared of weird people. I do love the wide open country though.
I tried to get them to seal the borders to keep out the weird people years ago. Sadly they didn't listen to me and now Montana is filled with all kind of weirdos from California. :sadnod:

I'm planning on living in a 16 ft x 8 ft warm room that I'm building up at my land this summer.

.... it is going to be inside a 30 ft x 50 ft cement floored pole barn I had built (so I do have a little extra storage room). Plus my 25 ft travel trailer is going to stay permanently parked beside it as a spare room. So I might not be simplifying my life that much.

Though currently I have no power up there other than what my generator produces. I might buy solar panels and set up a system (my only affordable option) or I might do without. Doing without would seriously simplify my life.

Small-home living is rather by default in England as builders seek to put as many dwellings on a given plot of land that they can legally get away with. It's all about maximising profit, to 'make the land pay' in the words of American architect Cass Gilbert. Hence the high-density apartment developments, tomorrow's slums today, which make up most modern housing.

How about this for a tiny house.:D It shows the high prices of housing in London and the South East that it is still up for sale at nearly £80,000.:rolleyes:

It is not just the South East, it is England as a whole - or a hole - which in the past few years overtook the Netherlands as being the most crowded country in Europe with an average population density of over a thousand people per square mile. We're going to have to take some tips from the Dutch on reclaiming 'polders' from the sea to stick the excess population on.

It is not just the South East, it is England as a whole - or a hole - which in the past few years overtook the Netherlands as being the most crowded country in Europe with an average population density of over a thousand people per square mile. We're going to have to take some tips from the Dutch on reclaiming 'polders' from the sea to stick the excess population on.
Yes. I think Oxfordshire is sometimes said to be in the South East. Anyway, it certainly feels very crowded here, and I don't think it's by free choice that people here end up in small substandard flats, flats right next to busy roads and railroad lines etc. Housing is ridiculously expensive here, and the fat cats on top of the "food chain" must raking in a substantial profit.

Ultimately, small-home living is all about squashing as many people as possible into our small, overpopulated, under-resourced, country for the benefit of the landlord class. The Green Party and some other 'environmentalists' bizarrely support this.

http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/rops

The Green Party reaffirms it's commitment to a liberal immigration policy. Everyone is equal no matter what the colour of their passport. The Coalition's policy of introducing an immigration cap restricts people's rights based purely on their nationality, harms the economy and is not conducive to a free and happy society.The Green Party is in favour of a real review of border controls that takes in the full benefits of immigration and stops treating those who are not native to the UK as a problem.

Passed Autumn Conference Sheffield 2011

Yep, squash 'em all in!!! Let's get the population up to 100 million!!!

Last edited:
Oh oh, I'm from California. Washington state too blames California for it's increase in housing and rent prices. Unofficially at least. I lived there for 8 years.

I live in an apartment now and live among a better class of people than I did when I lived in a stand alone house in a traditional planned neighborhood. Here there is no jerk blasting his stereo in the back yard all day on every so called summer holiday. People are friendly or leave you alone.

I do think that a community of small housing could be considered to turn into a slum type situation at some time. I think it's the reason those tiny houses are built on wheels so they can be considered mobile.

Oh oh, I'm from California. Washington state too blames California for it's increase in housing and rent prices. Unofficially at least. I lived there for 8 years.
Here in Montana it's well understood that all things evil flow from California:devil: :)

I live in an apartment now and live among a better class of people than I did when I lived in a stand alone house in a traditional planned neighborhood. Here there is no jerk blasting his stereo in the back yard all day on every so called summer holiday. People are friendly or leave you alone.
I've always liked my houses more than I liked apartment living. -Not trying to dig at you, but one of the reasons I like it more is because of the fact I don't have people complaining about my occasionally loud music

- Actually when I was an apartment dweller I only had one person complain...but he really, really bugged me...and he did it more than once.
I thought I was being a good neighbor and not playing the music at times that would normally cause problems - or actually that loud, but we still had problems, untill I took him aside one day and explained to him that we lived in an apartment building.

I was lucky though, as I have a friend who lived over top of a lady who would call up and complain that we were talking to loud or making to much noise walking. We would have take off our shoes and talk almost in whispers. My friend couldn't watch TV in the evenings without her throwing a fit - but I'm pretty sure she was clinically insane (I think she cooked and ate the neighbors cats).

I also like being able to have pets and a garden which is tough with an apartment.

I do think that a community of small housing could be considered to turn into a slum type situation at some time. I think it's the reason those tiny houses are built on wheels so they can be considered mobile.
Plus the taxes are much less.

Sometimes it takes awhile for alternative sleeping arrangements to become popular.

upload_2014-4-5_21-54-32.png