Health Issues Should vegans be issued with a mental health warning?

It's too long, that's what I think of it :p Well, I finally read the whole thing now.

I don't think I had such an extreme reaction. Shutting people out of my life due to non-veganness seemed irrational. Of course, it's frustrating that people in my life are/were so extremely lacking in compassion towards animals, and so set in their ways, that they didn't even try to change. (Well, I have some relatives who have dabbled in veg*ism.) But shutting people out would just be counter-productive.

I take the long-term perspective. Animal exploitation has been around since the beginning. It won't go away over night. Meanwhile, I live my life as a vegan, hoping that I can help make veganism more mainstream, and knowing that the next generation of vegans will have it easier. With the mountain of evidence building up, showing how other animals share almost all the "unique" human traits, it's becoming increasingly more difficult to defend old exploitation practices. Similarly, there is a mountain of evidence building up, showing the harmful health consequences of animal foods. And there is a third evidence mountain showing the negative consequences of animal food production for the environment.

My first thought is that non-vegans don't have a monopoly on having mental issues or eating disorders. Some vegans have different issues, and some non-vegans have too.

Reactions: Freesia and Amy SF
S'a good article. TY for posting the link, BSV.

I can empathise with the 'loneliness' experience that article mentions but I don't experience it personaly.

Having conducted an experiment with a small herd of cows I concluded this;

S'not lonely to sit in solitude amongst a herd of cows and watch cows doing cow stuff. That's peacefull and nice.

It gets VERY lonely though if you have any expectation of finding the company of equals amongst a herd of silly moos.

As regards the mental health warning ...

Gerard, whom I once befriended, knew a lot about aliens. His dad had taken him to a sci-fi fair when he was a kiddie and he had seen a real one there.

Gerard believed me to be as mad as fish on a bicycle.

Point being this; The more the insane believe your insane then the less likely it is that you are.