UK Sheese bought out by dairy company

MorellaRat

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Just read in the news that Sheese has been bought out by Saputo for £109.000,000.

What do we think of this? A good move, or not? I'm worried that when we buy it, we're lining the pockets of people who own things like Utterly Butterly and Cathedral City.

Alpro have gone the same way, they're now owned by Danone.

Here's the article about it on the BBC website: Vegan cheesemaker sold in multi-million pound deal

i think it is degusting for a vegan business to be bought out my excuse the term "big animal" because even when we buy vegan products it will still support a non-veg industry

we must keep vegan alt business vegan owned to show that we do exist we want vegan product and not are industry can not be bought merely for your stock portfolio

i think it is degusting for a vegan business to be bought out my excuse the term "big animal" because even when we buy vegan products it will still support a non-veg industry

.I agree with your sentiment but that is not just impractical but somewhat inconsistent. When you go to a grocery store and it has non vegan products - buying a vegan product - still supports the non vegan grocery store. you just can't get away from it.

we have discussed this here before. mostly I see it as a good sign. or maybe I have just gotten used to it. I remember when Silk was first purchased by a dairy company and how upset I was. then it changed hands like 3 more times and now it doesn't phase me at all.

Big corporations have big mechanisms. So the vegan product may get broader range. more advertising, higher production.....

Reactions: wolfynerd0000
I also agree with the sentiment, but not the reality. The larger the company, the more sales--as much as I hate Nestle, I'm still happy they're doing well with Sweet Earth

I remember on another forum vegans were so upset about Silk being bought out, swearing to boycott. When you look at the expansive non dairy milk section it's mostly Danones marketing of it's newly acquired Silk that brought it about.That's huge

Now they're after the interest in health that all these new plant based and environmental docs have sparked, and you'll find vegan products completely by passing the 'vegan' label--like Plant pure Farmland meatless products owned by Gardein. I puzzled over that package to be sure it was vegan, as so many "plant based' foods are not!

Anyway, I haven't thought about Sheese since I first turned vegan! Never even tried it, and cant' remember last time I saw it in a store. I bet I will now, and I'm happy about that

Reactions: Lou
we must keep vegan alt business vegan owned to show that we do exist we want vegan product and not are industry can not be bought merely for your stock portfolio
Do you think they'd be bought out if they were so profitable with vegan ownership?
Any ideas?
Making foods vegan by default for omnivores is NOT a bad thing

Do you think they'd be bought out if they were so profitable with vegan ownership?
Any ideas?

It would seem like they had no other (or little) alternative due to EU countries (most probably France) lobbying against plant based companies.

I've never seen this brand in the US (except for on Amazon) and in Canada it's sold on line. In France it is also only sold online as no major supermarket/hyper sells plant based cheeses. I also find it a bit sad to think that this Scottish based company that has been around for 30 years is being taken over by a Canadian giant.

''Located on the Isle of Bute, off the West Coast of Scotland, the company employs approximately 180 people, including its founders.

As the alternative dairy market continues to grow around the globe, more and more conventional dairy companies are looking towards plant-based or cell-cultured dairy to diversify their portfolios. In a major breakthrough, the EU has recently rejected severe and unprecedented restrictions on plant-based dairy, in an attack led by conventional dairy lobbyists.''

Bute Island Foods revealed its plans to grow and expand its portfolio and this acquisition will surely facilitate such plans; “We’ve been attending expos in the USA for a few years now so hopefully our products will be launching there soon. And of course, we want a bigger portfolio of products,” said the Scottish bran

1623563918155.png

1623563953522.png

''Made with pride on the Isle of Bute in Scotland, Bute Island Foods produces a range of dairy free vegan cheeses which are a delicious, healthy cheese alternative – perfect for plant-based diets and people with dietary restrictions like lactose intolerance.

The award-winning team been manufacturing their “Scheese” for over 30 years and their story is an interesting one, coming from humble beginnings around a kitchen table, to selling their much-loved products throughout the UK, Europe, and Australia.''

Reactions: Lou
I think Vbites hasn't been bought out by anyone non ethical or dairy related yet?

Yes. Heather Mills bought the company a few years ago and it's still British based and they have a range of 100 different vegan products.

Sadly their V Bites restaurant in Brighton has closed since the 1 st Covid lockdown.