History Second Norse site excavated in Canada - Point Rosee

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
To date, the sagas have only led archaeologists to one actual, verified Norse historical site in the New World — the 1000-year-old seaside settlement L’Anse aux Meadows on the northernmost tip of Newfoundland.

It would take 55 years and a view from space to track down a possible second one.

The new archaeological find, announced Thursday, offers tantalizing evidence of a Viking presence 300 miles from the only place in Canada they’d ever been seen before.
More: An ancient site spotted from space could rewrite the history of Vikings in North America (1. April 2016)

This is no April Fool's joke (I think)!

Reactions: Tom L. and ledboots
I see this story on multiple other news sites as well. Looks like the story broke on Thursday, i.e. the day before April 1st, just in case anyone thought it was a joke!

It's been accepted for years that Viking settlers/fisherman were on the North American East Coast - Vinland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There was also a sizeable community on Greenland thanks to an unusually warm period of weather.
Yes, the Greenland settlement is well known and documented, but as for continental North America it's not clear how many they were, how far they went, how permanent their presence was etc.