Children Schools ban children making best friends

Blues

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4203460/Schools-ban-children-making-best-friends.html

Instead, the primary pupils are being encouraged to play in large groups.
Educational psychologist Gaynor Sbuttoni said the policy has been used at schools in Kingston, South West London, and Surrey.
She added: “I have noticed that teachers tell children they shouldn’t have a best friend and that everyone should play together.
“They are doing it because they want to save the child the pain of splitting up from their best friend. But it is natural for some children to want a best friend. If they break up, they have to feel the pain
because they’re learning to deal with it.”

Click on the link for more:rolleyes:

Haha, that is awesome. People are always finding more hilarious ways to be stupid.

Changing your best friend every 2 days and going through the heartbreak of "sorry, you're not my best friend any more" is an integral part of growing up!

Reactions: Muggle
Changing your best friend every 2 days and going through the heartbreak of "sorry, you're not my best friend any more" is an integral part of growing up!

It is, though I've had the same "best" friend since kindergarten... well I met him in kindergarten we actually started hanging out together all the time when we were 7. I have had a lot of other very good friends over the years that have come and gone during my life as we've moved on gone our separate ways but that's to be expected.

But I think the schools that are discouraging best friends are overlooking the difference between group friends and best friends. You don't share intimate/personal thoughts with group friends and being able to do so with best friends is an integral part of being human which is why we risk potential pain and rejection to have them.

Anyway the idiots can try and implement the stupid policy... it won't do any good.

When I was at school I think I cried all of the time because of falling out (and ins) with my "best friends". Children can be mean, and girls in particular use their friendship as weapons against each other and as a way of making other kids feel left out. So I can understand thinking that encouraging children to play in big groups rather than select little groups would be beneficial for everybody.

Of course, "banning best friends" is just ridiculous. But I can see what they're getting at.

ETA: Okay this is in the children section, sorry I didn't see *shuffles out embarrassed*

Reactions: thefadedone
ETA: Okay this is in the children section, sorry I didn't see *shuffles out embarrassed*
It's not exclusive to parents! Or children for that matter :p

Forming and then breaking up friendships is an important part of social development. It's training for later life, whether it's how to forge allegiances at work to navigate office politics, or surviving romantic relationship break ups.

How ridiculous! How do they plan on enforcing it?

-"Sorry Suzie, you played with Johnny yesterday, you can't play with him today."

The mind, it boggles.:wtf:

Yeah, this is just crazy. I know it's probably not the norm, but my best friend and I, from when I was 5 years old, remained friends through high school. She moved out of state after she got married and we lost touch for awhile, but re-connected again. We had a re-union a little over a year ago with two other childhood friends and we still keep in touch. It's pretty awesome.

Well they're just getting into gangs younger and younger aren't they?

Watch out - those drawings they bring home and ask you to put on the fridge may look innocent, but they're actually gang signs.

In other news, the Happy Puppies and the Fuzzy Kittens are going in for a playground fight this afternoon. The hall monitors are doing their best to try and call off the fight and break it up, but they'll probably end up playing hopscotch anyway.

Wait, isn't The Sun one of the lowest forms of media out there? I wouldn't be surprised if the actual story is nothing like what was reported.

Reactions: jeneticallymodified