Scared to break veganism

ski

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
i keep finding myself in situations that i can so easily end up eating meat not like actual meat but like hidden ingredients in food i fount out the other day diet pepsi has fish in it wtf really fish in diet pepsi i am going to just stick to a diet / meal plan and not deviate until i know for a fact a food is vegan friendly

Reactions: Nekodaiden
I had a drink a couple weeks ago that I found out after drinking it had a small amount of milk in it. I don't like when that happens, but it's not worth stressing over. Just take it as a reminder to be more mindful of what you're putting in your body.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
According to Pepsi, Diet Pepsi is "not suitable for vegans" in the UK. They haven't listed fish as an ingredient. And I'm pretty sure it's not fish. They state that Diet Pepsi IS suitable for vegetarians.

But yes some of the details of going vegan can be overwhelming and cause stress. Some soft drinks use animal-derived gelatin, some use animal derived coloring. Some alcoholic spirits are processed with fish things.

The learning of these things can take time. It seems like you are already learning a lot.

big picture: that Diet Pepsi doesn't even register on whatever personal purity scale you are judging yourself by. So... mellow out.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
This actually hurts veganism as a movement and you as a person. If you put this much pressure on yourself for "personal purity" you may decide you hate being vegan, not because being vegan is actually bad but because you've put so much stress on yourself you're going to be like "**** it I'm going to eat whatever." SO don't do that.

Also, it sends a message to other people that veganism is hard, or is about being perfect or holier-than-thou, which isn't going to help animals or the earth. In addition to that, it doesn't kill or harm any new animals to consume a tiny amount of whey or honey accidentally, or to be given an item you thought was vegan and then realize it had cheese in it after you bit into it.

If something had meat in it, I'd spit it out and probably make myself vomit, but other than that, don't stress yourself out so much. There's definitely a balance: you don't want to be OVERLY lazy like "hey I'm a vegan and I actually eat eggs all the time" but that's a damn site different than "oh no the sugar in this Pepsi might have been processed by bone char."

Reactions: Lou
i keep finding myself in situations that i can so easily end up eating meat not like actual meat but like hidden ingredients in food i fount out the other day diet pepsi has fish in it wtf really fish in diet pepsi i am going to just stick to a diet / meal plan and not deviate until i know for a fact a food is vegan friendly

Good for you. I actually don't see this as extreme. In my Vegan journey there have been a few times when I unknowingly ate something that had animal product in it. One of the dressings I was sure would be Vegan at Subway but wasn't. A rice seasoning that had lactose in it. Way earlier, some bread that was made with eggs. In each case when I became aware I stopped buying the product and made a different choice. This isn't extreme, it's just part of being more mindful of prepared products offered for consumption in a society where they are routinely mixed in.