RIP Yahoo Answers

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
In memory of Yahoo answers, how about a little thread.
Post the stupidest vegan question you ever heard.
or
the stupidest answer.

bonus points for creative spelling.

You don't eat bread right? Or rice?
Too many vegan things are also gluten free. I have no idea about the rice though! :joy:

Oh. RIP amazon review comments! I miss those!

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
HA HA HA, haven't thought about this for years.

Just to skew the topic a wee bit. I found Yahoo answers to be quite an eye opener into human nature.

When I was just getting started with my first computer I was trying to find information on something, I don't recall now what, and ran across Yahoo answers. I submitted my question and read some of the answers. I was struck by the fact the answers I were reading weren't quite right. To check out the validity of my observation I asked a different question, one in which I knew the answer and there was no ambiguity to the answer .

My question was repeatedly answered by people who assumed something was correct , but had no actual experience. One person who's job it was to know, gave their credentials and answered correctly. A know-it-all answered incorrectly, but added that it was the same as every other case...and most people wanted that answer and it was voted to be the most correct by a huge margin. It was absolutely wrong.

Yahoo answers, a bunch of people asking those who don't know anymore than they do and voting the answer because it's the one they want--no matter how wrong it was.

Back in the day I used to spend time in the vegan section trying to be the light in the darkness. I'm not sure it was completely futile. Every once in a while I got a "best answer".

I used to get the “bread” question a lot. I never understood where that thinking came from. I never considered it might be a gluten confusion.

The Yahoo Answers Vegetarian & Vegan site was troll city. No effective moderating.
The most disappointing thing for me was when I would give a great answer, with multiple references and then see "because animals taste good" get the best answer.

Really, if you have a real vegan question you should post it here.

:)

Reactions: David3
I went on there years ago and it was fun and I forgot the funny ones.
Why they getting shut down?
Yahoo got bought by some other company and they just sort of neglected it and now its even worse than it was before. Its very poorly moderated.
I still like the concept of a place where you can ask questions and get answers. but its not like you can't do that in other places.

For clarification:

I never used it myself. When I first noticed it, I’d see some of the questions and answers, and immediately deduced that my time was better spent elsewhere.

Reactions: Lou
Yahoo got bought by some other company and they just sort of neglected it and now its even worse than it was before. Its very poorly moderated.
I still like the concept of a place where you can ask questions and get answers. but its not like you can't do that in other places.
I think Quora is turning into another version of YA. I’ve seen some ridiculous questions and answers on that site, too.

Reactions: David3
LOL.

There are a lot of changes that are hard to deal with.

The loss of Yahoo Answers will blissfully not be one of them :)
Easy for you to say now buddy.
For every action....
You'll be singing a different when the refugees from YA start posting questions like
Can vegans still eat gluten?
and answers like,
but don't drink soy milk - you'll get manboobs

Reactions: KLS52