Returning to the online veg community because I'm trying to go vegan!

It's Day 5, and I'm still going strong! A little concerned that I'm actually over-eating a bit too much, so I'm going to be more conscious about being healthful, moderate, and not overindulgent while transitioning. I feel that I can do this because it's all been so much EASIER than I could have possibly imagined. I am very lucky to have a flexible schedule that allows me to prepare and eat all my meals at home, so I haven't had to contend with trying to pack a lunch or eat food out.

I did my weekly grocery shopping today and didn't even feel tempted by the dairy products, not even the free samples by the deli. In fact, I felt great and confident. :D

Reactions: Andy_T and ledboots
You're doing great! Keep up the good work!

This cheese sauce is absolutely the most incredible thing ever! We recently had it over twice baked potatoes, an then with tortilla chips and salsa and finally just with a spoon. It's from Allison Rivers Samson, the creator of Allison's Gourmet, and one of my all-time favorite chefs.

Cheddar Cheese Sauce:
1/3 cup vegan margarine
1/4 chopped onion
1 cup chopped potatoes
1/4 cup carrots
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/4 raw cashews
1/8 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

In a saute pan over medium heat, add the margarine and onions and cook for 5 minutes.Add potatoes, carrots, garlic, paprika, and salt and sauté for 5 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil. Cover pan and simmer 20 minutes, until the vegetables are very soft. In a dry blender, process cashews into a fine powder. Add mustard, lemon juice and potato mixture. Process until cheese sauce is smooth. This recipe makes about a cup and a half of cheese sauce. It's easily halved.

Poppy, that's very different from the other vegan cheese sauce I tried to make (the one in Veganomicon.) Yours sounds better--I'm intrigued by the potatoes.

Dormouse, you are doing great!

Try out other delicious things, and you will not even be tempted by dairy.
One of my favourites for sandwiches is sliced cocktail tomatoes on Dijon mustard. Very nice!

Best regards,
Andy

Reactions: ledboots
Last night I had my first real cravings...luckily the only cheese that we still have in the house is a small hunk of old parmesan, so I didn't give in to it. It's strange to me that it took this long for me to have any negative feelings about the transition at all. I don't know what specifically I was craving...I think it's the salty creaminess, and the idea of an avocado sounded gross because I had already eaten 3/4 of an avocado yesterday.

It's still kind of lingering today. I went to Whole Foods, and I didn't feel as awesome strolling through the dairy aisle. I didn't give in though, and I got some Chao slices, cheeze-flavored kale chips, hummus, and another variety of local vegan cheddar spread that looks good. I came home and ate a big bowl of pasta with white beans and roasted eggplant, so at least I'm full now.

This weekend I'm going on a trip with my family to the mountains. I haven't really dealt with the social aspect of veganism yet. The only time I went out to dinner was with my boyfriend to a vegan restaurant, so there was no challenge. Luckily, my family is accommodating, and we are going to a very vegetarian-friendly town (Asheville, NC). Because it's my birthday, they're all on board to go to a vegetarian restaurant there that has some good vegan options (don't want to take them to the all-vegan restaurant in case they don't like it. But check this place out--definitely going to go there some other time: Menu | Plant).

I was so pleased with how well everything was going and how easy it was! I don't know what happened!

Last night I had my first real cravings...luckily the only cheese that we still have in the house is a small hunk of old parmesan, so I didn't give in to it. It's strange to me that it took this long for me to have any negative feelings about the transition at all. I don't know what specifically I was craving...I think it's the salty creaminess, and the idea of an avocado sounded gross because I had already eaten 3/4 of an avocado yesterday.

It's still kind of lingering today. I went to Whole Foods, and I didn't feel as awesome strolling through the dairy aisle. I didn't give in though, and I got some Chao slices, cheeze-flavored kale chips, hummus, and another variety of local vegan cheddar spread that looks good. I came home and ate a big bowl of pasta with white beans and roasted eggplant, so at least I'm full now.

This weekend I'm going on a trip with my family to the mountains. I haven't really dealt with the social aspect of veganism yet. The only time I went out to dinner was with my boyfriend to a vegan restaurant, so there was no challenge. Luckily, my family is accommodating, and we are going to a very vegetarian-friendly town (Asheville, NC). Because it's my birthday, they're all on board to go to a vegetarian restaurant there that has some good vegan options (don't want to take them to the all-vegan restaurant in case they don't like it. But check this place out--definitely going to go there some other time: Menu | Plant).

I was so pleased with how well everything was going and how easy it was! I don't know what happened!
Maybe the family trip was on your mind a little--I seem to regress in many ways when my mom and siblings are around. :D

Also maybe just stay out of the dairy aisle for awhile. I had to avoid looking at the yellow peanut M&M bags for a long time after going vegan. Milk chocolate was my hard thing, but luckily there is much more of a selection of dark dairy free chocolate now, which is really way yummier anyway.

But I would eat a giant bag of vegan peanut M&Ms if they existed in my world. :)

Reactions: PTree15
The last dairy item I ate was a piece of See's candy. I really, really loved See's chocolates. :lick:

Milk chocolate was hard for me, too. Cheese still is because it's pretty much in my face wherever I go. Someone is eating pizza almost every day where I work. I've gotten better at just putting it out of my mind but when I see it, I still think, "damn, that looks good".

The Daiya I bought yesterday helped some. I had made black bean, yellow squash, and sweet potato enchiladas (from Thug Kitchen) , and until now, enchiladas for me have been associated with extreme cheesiness. They felt empty without the creaminess, although they were tasty. Sprinkling some pepperjack Daiya on top made a huge difference, at least psychologically. The vegan cheeses don't taste like dairy cheese to me, so I really don't want to make a grilled cheese sandwich or something with them. That sounds disappointing. But, just a little bit mixed in with the other flavors of the dish has a really nice effect.

Reactions: Andy_T
The original Chao cheese makes a very nice grilled cheese. Especially with a slice of tomato!
Yes, I 100% agree! You should definitely give it a try...I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

The original Chao cheese makes a very nice grilled cheese. Especially with a slice of tomato!
For those of us who have access to Chao slices. :pout: <---- That's me pouting because they aren't near me yet.

Woot! It's been 4 weeks! I never even imagined I could do this well. Had a minor issue tonight when we went to a Mexican restaurant. I split an order of veggie fajitas with my boyfriend, and, after discussing it with him, did not specially ask for no sour cream or cheese (though neither was listed on the menu as coming with the dish). When the fajitas arrived, the various toppings were kind of mushed together, so I had to struggle to pick around the grated cheese and sour cream to get the guac, beans, and rice that I wanted. Next time, I will say something. I didn't mind picking around the dairy. I'm not to the point where they gross me out, but I'm so proud that I didn't WANT any of the cheese. I didn't sneak any on purpose. I made a good faith effort to avoid it.

Things are going great, and I've taken a real liking to Daiya shreds. I also had a burger the other day with a Chao slice on top. Thanks for the recommendations--both are awesome once you get used them and totally fill my desire for cheese, even if they don't taste exactly the same.

So happy to hear you are doing so well!