Returning to the online veg community because I'm trying to go vegan!

Nice to see you again! Cheese was a really hard transition for me. I whittled down my dairy consumption over maybe a year? to the point where I was become ill when eating any significant amount (cheese pizza was my true love :p). Finally I decided enough was enough. I defnitely think avoiding cheese subtitutes for awhile could be helpful as they're mostly not representative of dairy cheese. For me, consuming something fatty/salty often helped with a craving. Fried humus sandwiches, pasta with oil and nooch, sourdough crackers or bread with margaine, etc.

You can do it! I must admit that just *today*, some 10+ years after going vegan, I found myself smelling some cheese and thinking about the taste. However, it's now become just a moment of two of mouth-watering instead of that sort of down-deep craving, if that makes sense.

Hi Dormouse,

I'm in the same boat. I was vegan, then got horribly lazy and now I'm back on it! I find that I'm trying to post in here to help get meal ideas and stay accountable. My husband is vegetarian, but he does 0% of the meal planning, so it's all on me :)

Woot! It's been 4 weeks! I never even imagined I could do this well. Had a minor issue tonight when we went to a Mexican restaurant. I split an order of veggie fajitas with my boyfriend, and, after discussing it with him, did not specially ask for no sour cream or cheese (though neither was listed on the menu as coming with the dish). When the fajitas arrived, the various toppings were kind of mushed together, so I had to struggle to pick around the grated cheese and sour cream to get the guac, beans, and rice that I wanted. Next time, I will say something. I didn't mind picking around the dairy. I'm not to the point where they gross me out, but I'm so proud that I didn't WANT any of the cheese. I didn't sneak any on purpose. I made a good faith effort to avoid it.

Things are going great, and I've taken a real liking to Daiya shreds. I also had a burger the other day with a Chao slice on top. Thanks for the recommendations--both are awesome once you get used them and totally fill my desire for cheese, even if they don't taste exactly the same.
i'm a little late on this bandwagon but SO glad to hear you're out there kickin' butt! thanks for sharing your journey with us. cheese can most certainly be a huge challenge. i did a whole video on the addictive nature... it's great to see you working so hard to be vegan- it's totally worth it!

keep on the path- you're taking all the right actions! yay you! [ps- the cows say 'thanks!']

Thanks, new responders! I'm still going strong, and it's been about six weeks! I've navigated restaurants and faced cheese cravings successfully. I did eat cheese by accident once, and I'm having a hard time avoiding honey (apparently it's in all the bread and whole grain tortillas that I buy). But in general it is going well. I am really enjoying Daiya on my burritos. (I eat a ton of burritos.)

:wave:Hi Dormouse yes I remember you too...but strangely cannot remember what name I was under on veggieboards !!!! think it was happy hippy . Anyway nice to see you again