Rarely seen form of mad cow disease has been found in alabama

P

Plant Muncher

Yet another reason to stop eating our animal friends. :)

I have often wondered what it would take to get people to stop eating meat en masse and I have theorized that it would take something like a nationwide outbreak of something like mad cow disease. Beef consumption drops when ever there is a beef contamination scare and it dropped dramatically the last time we had a mad cow disease epidemic in this country. If we ever did see a widespread disease affecting beef cows, I'd guess that we would have a lot more members on this forum overnight. Otherwise, there is no way to keep people from ever stopping the consumption beef if that were even a goal. I personally wouldn't cry of the beef industry myself.

Agriculture officials say a rarely seen form of mad cow disease has been found in Alabama.

Source: Associated Press

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Agriculture officials say a rarely seen form of mad cow disease has been found in Alabama.

A statement from state Agriculture Commissioner John McMillan says atypical bovine spongiform encephalopathy was confirmed in an 11-year-old beef cow.

The U.S. Agriculture Department says this only the fifth case of the atypical form of the disease being confirmed in the United States.

McMillan says the animal was discovered during routine screening at a livestock market. The cow wasn’t slaughtered and its meat didn’t enter the food chain.

Read more: https://apnews.com/3f554af1fb8443ff...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP