Random - Recruiters missing the mark

TofuRobot

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I get emails from LinkedIn all the time from recruiters, even though my profile is not set as "open to opportunities."

The latest one I got promised (along with a basketball court and ping pong table), "Company BBQs and Endless M&Ms."
If I WERE looking for a job, I wouldn't be interested in joining a frat house - I just want to go to work, work hard, feel appreciated, get paid, and go home so I can be with my family.

I'm so tempted to reply back with "Well, I'm a vegan 54 year old 5' 2" single parent who likes to run in the morning with my dog and get home after work to spend time with my son so playing basketball at work and the BBQs and M&Ms are not really a selling point. (And I also already have a really great job where my boss doesn't expect me to eat junk "food" and play sports at work) ...Good luck though!"

But I won't.

*sigh*

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC
I think LinkedIn has become a great place for recruiter spam, unfortunately. Well, it's been that way for a good while. So it's a numbers game for the recruiters. They don't really look very carefully on the profiles - I'm sure they just look for keyword matches - before they send out their job ads, and of course they ignore the "not open to opportunities" setting.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Yeah - I know. It sucks because for a lot of people, you never know when/if you're going to need/want a recruiter, so you hesitate to reject their messages or block them. Yet professionally, you're kind of required to be on LinkedIn. But in all seriousness, who really cares about free junk food as a job "benefit?"

Reactions: Emma JC
Over here Apple, Oracle, and Google are some of the biggest employers.
Their perks are pretty fantastic. From free commuter busses to gyms to dry cleaning to free cafeteria (with great food).

Part of the deal is the competitiveness of the job market. but someone pointed out to me that they want to get a lot of hours out of their salary employees. Less reason to leave work when everything you need is there.

but someone pointed out to me that they want to get a lot of hours out of their salary employees. Less reason to leave work when everything you need is there.
That's basically exactly what that means. Yeah, no thanks.

The thing that stuck out the most is the BBQs and the junk food they offer. Like - that's literally the opposite of a benefit, to me - as I dread the company BBQ things b/c I then have to deal with the food issue, and I'm so sick of seeing candy and cr@p at work, it's a complete turn-off to even mention it. I guess I lived in my little comfortable bubble for so long that I didn't realize how much horrible stuff people put into their bodies until I started working in the corporate world a couple years ago.

But even from a logistical angle, why do they think that these things are attractive to anyone? A quick Google search would tell them that the vast majority of people prioritize health care and work-life balance benefits when job seeking. It's like they haven't done any basic market research. It's it's not just one or two of them, I see this stuff in job ads *all* the freaking time.

https://hbr.org/2017/02/the-most-de...7McGHAdjp7BMnjZW_sOc0Ng2VzYvbR9FQK4D0mYehihRc

I think they want to cater to millenials. As someone that has worked as a manager of 5 fitness center with 40+ employees, most of our employees were not really too much interested in work-life balance as long as work was great.. Also most were fresh out of school and between 20-35 years old.

The point I want to get across is that this could be an age-thing. If people are in said age range (20-35) they often do not care about work-life balance, as they essentially do not have a family yet. I think priorities change as we get older though, probably for the better.

I think they want to cater to millenials. As someone that has worked as a manager of 5 fitness center with 40+ employees, most of our employees were not really too much interested in work-life balance as long as work was great.. Also most were fresh out of school and between 20-35 years old.

The point I want to get across is that this could be an age-thing. If people are in said age range (20-35) they often do not care about work-life balance, as they essentially do not have a family yet. I think priorities change as we get older though, probably for the better.
Yeah - ageism and sexism (basketball?) at its finest.

• Haha