US Rampant Sexism in America

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Since we have a thread cataloguing the numerous instances of racism in America, I decided we should also have a thread cataloguing the numerous instances of sexism in America. Here’s one to get things started:

Houston School Removes Quote Popularized by Former New York Madam After It’s Blasted on Twitter as Sexist

Sorry, this content is not available in your region.

In case the link gets lost--
A Houston school has removed a quote popularized by a former New York madam after social media controversy over the saying, which was posted in a hallway above school lockers, according to CNN affiliate KTRK.

The quote: “The more you act like a lady, the more he’ll act like a gentleman.”
Oh damn! "Some saw it as a way of reminding young people about respect" :mad:. NO, no it doesn't! It still amazes me how backwards so much of America still is, and needs to be called out and destroyed!
Maybe there is a bigger good for this pandoras box of bigotry, sexism, xenophobia that had been in hiding to come out. Are we ready for civil war to put an end to it? o_O

Reactions: Amy SF
Someone put a pro feminism article on Linked In the other day, and majority of the commenters seemed to be from North America and I was a little surprised to see some comments like "human rights issue, not feminism" or "I didn't bother to read when I saw metoo" being about half the comments, especially when you consider this is people posting where all their work colleagues can see it.

Still, I think this is really a global issue really. Americas are often surprised, even shocked by things they see and hear when they visit and live in Western Europe, and Western Europe is itself ahead of most of the rest of the world.

Reactions: Andy_T