Rampant Racism in America

There are lots of good Christian people, though! I have two relatives (both women) who are both priests, and I can assure you there's not a racist bone in their bodies :)
I have to admit, I'm not as Christ-like as I would like to be but I'm aiming there. :angel:

This fits here.

Despicable, more despicable, the current US "administration".
This makes me so angry. How hard would it have been to appoint someone to oversee disbursement of the funds if the administration was so worried about supposed corruption? Not hard, which is to say that this is just another example of Trump's blatant disregard and disdain for people of color. Disgusting.

All these rioters are giving the good protesters a very bad name🤦‍♀️. I cannot believe all what’s going on . What would have happened if a black cop killed a white man? Would there be a protest? Media needs to lay low on these.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and Amy SF
Did anyone read the article that starts off this thread? There’s a direct line between that and the murder of George Floyd.

Did anyone read the article that starts off this thread? There’s a direct line between that and the murder of George Floyd.
Yes but it does not mean looting and causing problems. It means to protest peacefully.
i cannot go see my mom that has Alzheimer’s in another state because of this.

• Sad
Reactions: Val
  • Friendly
Reactions: Val
All these rioters are giving the good protesters a very bad name🤦‍♀️. I cannot believe all what’s going on . What would have happened if a black cop killed a white man? Would there be a protest? Media needs to lay low on these.

Please allow me to answer this question.

The reason why there are protests right now, but not in the case you mention is because if a black officer killed an unarmed white man in the way that Floyd George was murdered, that black officer would likely be taken into custody and charged immediately, as he should, and there would be no reason to protest the case.

Consider the 2017 case of Justine Diamond, the blond Australian woman who reported a crime at night and was shot by a (black) officer when she approached his police car and rapped on the window.

Definitely a death that should never have happened, the difference to the case here was that the officer was not intending to murder her for racist motives, rather he was surprised by her rapping on the window of his police cruiser and made a very bad choice. Result? He was immediately taken into custody, sentenced to 12.5 years in prison, and her family received 20 million $, the highest settlement ever for a person killed by the police.

Here we have a very different case, where a black person, on the floor, handcuffed, begged for his life, and a white cop murdered him by strangulating him with his knee for more than 8 minutes ( 2 minutes after he already had stopped showing any signs of life), 3 other cops stood by and looked on, and none of them was charged until the unrest started to happen. Instead, the city doubled down by posting 200 policemen around the house of the murderer to protect him from protests, instead of taking him into custody immediately.

I, for one, can very well understand why people of all colours are seething with anger about this difference in handling these 2 cases.

I will try to articulate why making this about white people isn't helpful, and since I'm not a person of color, I might not do the greatest job of it, but here goes. This isn't about white people, and white people need to stop making it about themselves. It's about decades, centuries really, of a double standard under the law that unfairly treats people of color. My friends of color have to have discussions with their children about basically how to stay alive if they are stopped by the police. White parents do not have to have this discussion with their children. People of color have to adopt a whole code of behavior while shopping so they are not perceived by white people as criminals. White teens can wear a hoodie without ever thinking about it. A person of color in a hoodie could get shot for simply wearing the hoodie.

When a white person leaves the house, this person does not have to think about the color of their own skin. People of color live in fear every day because they are not white.

White America has refused to acknowledge systemic racism and even its own unintentional biases because these attitudes have been passed down from generation to generation. It's ingrained in white culture, and sometimes the truth can hurt, but if you don't recognize it, you're doomed to perpetuate racism, even if you don't mean to.

White America has to open up its mind and ears and listen, really listen without making it about itself, to other voices that come from different perspectives. Start with reading about white privilege and white fragility from voices of color.

With regard to the media, I disagree. It's important that people really see what is happening. I'm not saying all media outlets are responsible ones, but some are trying to document what is going on. Ignoring it smacks of magical thinking that this will all just go away. It will not go away unless the country starts doing the hard work necessary to end racism.

I will try to articulate why making this about white people isn't helpful, and since I'm not a person of color, I might not do the greatest job of it, but here goes. This isn't about white people, and white people need to stop making it about themselves. It's about decades, centuries really, of a double standard under the law that unfairly treats people of color. My friends of color have to have discussions with their children about basically how to stay alive if they are stopped by the police. White parents do not have to have this discussion with their children. People of color have to adopt a whole code of behavior while shopping so they are not perceived by white people as criminals. White teens can wear a hoodie without ever thinking about it. A person of color in a hoodie could get shot for simply wearing the hoodie.

When a white person leaves the house, this person does not have to think about the color of their own skin. People of color live in fear every day because they are not white.

White America has refused to acknowledge systemic racism and even its own unintentional biases because these attitudes have been passed down from generation to generation. It's ingrained in white culture, and sometimes the truth can hurt, but if you don't recognize it, you're doomed to perpetuate racism, even if you don't mean to.

White America has to open up its mind and ears and listen, really listen without making it about itself, to other voices that come from different perspectives. Start with reading about white privilege and white fragility from voices of color.

With regard to the media, I disagree. It's important that people really see what is happening. I'm not saying all media outlets are responsible ones, but some are trying to document what is going on. Ignoring it smacks of magical thinking that this will all just go away. It will not go away unless the country starts doing the hard work necessary to end racism.
Thanks for explaining and I agree about it dates back to slavery also. I been resentful for how America treated Blacks for a few hundred years. I learned about this the hard way watching mtv and Michael Jackson Man in the mirror came on the video. It got me thinking about racism and i viewed the video at 11 years old when it first aired and it scared me.

Probably two of the best articles I’ve seen to date. Read them.

Reactions: PTree15
Yep.
White pepo are upset that banning the statues glorifying the confederacy are erasing the history of white people, but they're the very same that erased the generational histories of African Americans, that hid their contributions, and continue to lie.
I didn't see the history of the most revered white sumpremisists, trumpists, constitutional amendment- the right to bear arms-

I think tramp is getting his answer to "what have you got to lose?"

Agree that they are good articles.

"All lives matter" is tricky because sometimes it is used to deliberately defend racism, and at other times it is just someone innocently stating something without having thought it through.

But attitudes shift. Something like Nancy Pelosi using the phrase will become pretty rare soon, I think. I bet no major democrats will use the phrase from now on.

The other thing I wanted to say was this debate about whether change is driven by Washington or local governments is not an either/or. The White House could ask each state or county or mayor to write a report detailing what changes they have made, and then produce a report highlighting which local governments have made more or less appropriate changes. OK maybe not with Trump in charge...but later on.....

Reactions: KLS52
The best way I have heard it expressed (sorry, was searching for the tweet but could not find it), went somehow like that:

You should stop saying

"Too bad that Floyd George was killed by the police, but the looting has to stop".

Rather, change your point of view, and reformulate the sentence:

"Too bad that shops get looted, but the killing of unarmed Black people at the hands of police has to stop".

That way, you have made the comment about the real and more important problem.