Purple potatoes

JackS

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
When you get to 80, you try to refine your whole food veganism even more! I just ordered 10 kilos of purple spuds. Won’t eat any other variety (apart from sweet potatoes which are a different thing) because the anti-oxidant levels in purple potatoes are so high! Air fried purple spud chips taste fantastic, too!

Yum, purple potatoes, I haven't had them very often but I do remember they were tasty - thanks for the reminder to pick some up.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I wish I liked them. Dr Greger doesn't recommend any white potatoes, other than these purple flesh, white potatoes. Don't know how else to describe them since they aren't 'sweet' :joy:
I do love russets. I've gotten better about eating sweet too though, I can eat them if spicy enough!

Reactions: bEt and Emma JC
Just made purple potato rösti in the air fryer (grated with grated onion, garlic, mustard, tahini, salt, pepper) plus black olive adornment). Big plus….

The nomenclature with yams and potatoes is so inconsistent and confusing.

The stores in my area have "purple potatoes", which are potatoes ( white flesh ) with a purple skin. Then they have a yam from Hawaii that is blue/purple on the inside and the outside.

It HAS TO BE mondo nutritious but my food diary site/the databases it points too haven't thoroughly studied the composition fully yet.

They taste great though! Almost like a treat!

FWIW, I've read that for people with blood sugar issues baking potatoes or yams is the most unhealthy way to cook them. Boiling is the best. Quicker than baking -- about 6 min. I just cut my yams thin and microwave them for about 4-5 min.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
I've gotten purple potatoes that were not at all like yams or sweet potatoes, but very much like a variety of white:

Japanese sweet potatoes (I think also called garnet) are dark red outside and white inside, but they are a variety of yams. More dense and less sweet than most, and take longer to cook. I think they're my favorite. I think they have a taste like roasted chestnuts

The ones I bought here in France are actually called ‘Bleu’ but are purple through and through!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Emma JC