PUPPY HOUSEBREAKING/SCHEDULE HELP!!!!

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
In need of advice from our dog people.. My little fosters have done fairly well with puppy pad/outside housebreaking-still a work in progress, but we're getting there. School is about to begin and I will be away from home for eight hours. I've worked out a schedule for the fosters ,eleven month old pups and adult dogs (six total) and would greatly appreciate your input:

5am- rise and shine, back yard for bathroom break while I shower
5:30-6 am- feeding time
6:15 am- bathroom outside, remove food bowl
6:45 am-puppies confined to hallway with toys, water, bed,puppy pads
7am- Mom says goodbye,small treat,kisses
3:30-pm- Mom home, outside breaks, playtime
outside breaks every half hour or so until dinner
5:30-6pm- dinner,outdoor play
7pm- remove water bowl and food dish
7-8pm-outdoor bathroom breaks

I have not crate trained the pups. They sleep with me ( I know, I know) and I take them out for bathroom breaks once during the night if needed. I so have puppy pads down just in case, and they have done well with minimal accidents. So, how does this look? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Noomi was my last pup. I never used pads, papers or anything when training her to be clean indoors. I just washed the floor when she had an accident. Then she didn't get any spots inside to pee on, and she is the pup that become clean inside first of all mine. So I would perhaps think of removing them? And do the ususall bathroom breaks after sleeping, eating, playing etc.

Otherwise it looks like you have a full day taking care of them. :)

Mine isn't crate trained either, and sleeps in the bed. That's just normal for me! :D When I got Vida, I had to buy a bigger bed, since I couldn't fit myself and three dogs in the old one. :p

Reactions: sallyomally
Noomi was my last pup. I never used pads, papers or anything when training her to be clean indoors. I just washed the floor when she had an accident. Then she didn't get any spots inside to pee on, and she is the pup that become clean inside first of all mine. So I would perhaps think of removing them? And do the ususall bathroom breaks after sleeping, eating, playing etc.

Otherwise it looks like you have a full day taking care of them. :)

Mine isn't crate trained either, and sleeps in the bed. That's just normal for me! :D When I got Vida, I had to buy a bigger bed, since I couldn't fit myself and three dogs in the old one. :p

HAHA! Glad I'm not the only one! I was hoping to have them fully trained before school started,but with four it can get crazy.They each seem to have a different schedule in mind. I've wondered if the puppy pads are causing them to think it's OK to go indoors, but with so many, I can't think of any other way to protect the floor when I'm gone. Would you mind sharing your housebreaking routine?

I took her out after she had slept, eaten and played. Or been awake for som time. And every time she walked to the door. Pluss the walks we had. And the last thing I did before go to bed was taking her out again.

And always praised her when she peed outside and said "Go pee". Now at 2.5 years old, I can tell her to go to pee. And she does. And I still praise them for it. :p

Well then, I must be on the right track. I'm doing all of those. My problem is some days they'll go out and play and run around for some twenty minutes only to come back inside and pee or poop on the floor! They become so involved with playing, I think they forget to pee. I've tried taking the food and water up by six or seven and taking them out several times before bed, and often once in the middle of the night, but there always seems to be something on the floor or pads every morning. It's hard with four, I think, because it seems as though each has a different "potty schedule". We'll keep trying and hopefully, they'll figure things out. Thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it.

Last edited:
From what I know about puppies, they tend to set their own schedules. At least for the first 6 months. Riley trained fully by then.

He has a sort of playpen which had a caged area full of newspaper and he would use that overnight sometimes. During the day he was taken out regularly, the key was to RUN towards him when he starts circling and sniffing the ground and take him outside. But it didnt always work, there were regular accidents. The best thing to do is keep a bathroom schedule for each dog and watch them very closely.

Those dogs sound like they are about 80% trained now. So you have done well.

Riley gets a treat everytime he uses the bathroom so that definitely helped his training.

He has a sort of playpen which had a caged area full of newspaper and he would use that overnight sometimes. During the day he was taken out regularly, the key was to RUN towards him when he starts circling and sniffing the ground and take him outside. But it didnt always work, there were regular accidents. The best thing to do is keep a bathroom schedule for each dog and watch them very closely.

Those dogs sound like they are about 80% trained now. So you have done well.

Thanks for the encouragement! I appreciate it very much.

Reactions: Freesia