Produce tips

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I just got an email from my friendly neighborhood grocery store.
I thought there were some good tips in here.
So I thought I would share with you

-------------------------------------

Picture this: You’re picking the perfect tomato. You pick it up, inspect it, and put it back, and repeat until you find the perfect one.
This process can unknowingly lead to the transfer of bacteria. For your safety always make sure to wash your produce thoroughly before you enjoy!
Here are our other tips for CLEAN eating of your fresh vegetables and fruits! (Information gathered from fda.gov)

AdobeStock_191832601-990b6d014504513c.jpeg

1. Always pick produce that is free of bruises or is damaged.
  2. If the produce is pre-cut, for example cut berries, watermelons or even bags of lettuce, make sure they are refrigerated or on ice both in the grocery store and at home.
  3. Before and after handling your fresh produce wash your hands for 20 seconds with warm water and soap.
  4. If your unwashed produce gets damaged or bruised cut away the affected areas before preparing or eating.
  5. To ensure that bacteria isn’t transferred to the insides of your produce, always wash produce before you cut or peel it.
  6. Hold your produce under running water and gently rub to clean.
  7. Use a vegetable brush to scrub away dirt from firmer produce like melons, potatoes and carrots.
  8. Always dry your washed produce with a clean cloth or paper towel.
  9. For lettuce, cabbage, onions or even garlic cloves, make sure to remove the outermost leaves or skin before use.

yes, there are lots of signs in my grocery store saying "don't handle the produce" if you pick it up you buy it.... I have a crummy red onion as a result and yet agree with the premise completely

Emma JC

• Love
  • Friendly
Reactions: Sax and Lou
Here is a tip.
When in the grocery store take a plastic bag for produce and put your hand inside it. now it's like a glove. Use that to handle produce. I think it would be ok to even put something back. all its touched is the bag.

If you are an experienced poop picker-upper you can probably bag all your produce without ever touching them with your hand. Probably a good idea to continue this practice even AC*

AC = After Cornona.
some people suggested PP - Post Pandemic. But I like AC better.

Here is a tip.
When in the grocery store take a plastic bag for produce and put your hand inside it. now it's like a glove. Use that to handle produce. I think it would be ok to even put something back. all its touched is the bag.

If you are an experienced poop picker-upper you can probably bag all your produce without ever touching them with your hand. Probably a good idea to continue this practice even AC*

AC = After Cornona.
some people suggested PP - Post Pandemic. But I like AC better.
I do use produce bags for most produce, but esp now. They come in very handy!
I kinda gave up thinking about using gloves or bags like gloves. If I'm picking my produce it's already been touched by everyone, and gonna be washed
I did try and sanitize bags and boxes one time when I got home--that was nuts!
Like should we all get uv lights in our cabinets?

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
BTW, that picture. Is that some gorgeous produce, or what?
I do use produce bags for most produce, but esp now. They come in very handy!
I kinda gave up thinking about using gloves or bags like gloves. If I'm picking my produce it's already been touched by everyone, and gonna be washed
I did try and sanitize bags and boxes one time when I got home--that was nuts!
Like should we all get uv lights in our cabinets?

I used to bring my own reusable bag and washable bags for produce. The first set I got was nylon, the second set was cotton. But that's not allowed anymore. also bringing your own grocery bags. That's a step backward but hopefully just temporary.

Using the produce bags doesn't mean you don't have to wash your produce. I did that before anyway. Its just to protect other people from YOUR germs. (Just like wearing a mask.) So that's not any different now. The produce wash I've been using recommends letting the produce soak in it for a few minutes and then just using a clean cloth to wipe it down and then rinse it off and let it air dry or dry with a clean dry cloth.

I have been wiping all my bags, boxes, and cans with a sanitizer when I get home from the grocery store. I don't think it is too big a deal. I couldn't find any more of those disposable wipes but my sister found a can of sanitizing spray. I just spray it on everything and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth. I now have a bunch of those that I can hand wash in the sink.

And of course, the big one is to wash your hands before and after you handle produce.

Reactions: Emma JC
just got this tip.

Think its a great idea. and I am going to start doing it today.

Bottom line -- but a small plastic box in your frig and label it "need to use"

Reducing your grocery bill and food waste — one of the most overlooked contributors to the climate crisis — may be the primary benefits of the “need to use” bin. But Miller discovered an unexpected perk: It also helps her answer the dreaded “what’s for dinner” question.​
“For example, if I have a half-used jar of salsa in the bin, it makes my decision easy to make something Mexican for dinner,” she said. “Or a half-used avocado means avocado toast for breakfast. It actually helps me with decision fatigue and menu planning more often than not.”​

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC