Problems transitioning

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I have gone over 30 days now without eating any of my animal friends, but I disappointed myself last night. I slipped off the wagon and ate meat. I was interesting, it didn't really taste good anymore. I ate meat for over 30 years, I am glad I finally realized the true cost of what I was consuming. Alas, I still slipped up and did eat meat. Is this normal for someone transitioning from my situation?

Reactions: new vegan
It is a journey and it is normal to 'transition'. Do your best and keep educating yourself and watch lots of videos of others that are eating and cooking vegan meals. We are all here cheering you on!

Emma JC

Awww..

Of course it's normal.. We "slipped" for the first time in 7 months, two weeks ago. We were finally seeing a Naturopath for the first time, in another state.

My blood sugar went low, and i decided to get a "Rosewater, Pistachio Croissant" at a coffee house we were sitting in.. For the first time in 7 months, we tasted butter, confectioners sugar, and everything that would make Esselstyn blush due to a croissant.

I had 2 bites.. and that was it.. that was enough carbs/fat to get my blood sugar back the level. And what was left over, we threw away.

And no, it just wasn't as enjoyable as i thought it would be. Nor, would I go buy one again, if i had other vegan options.

After that incident, i truly began to wonder:

Why is it, that we used to get all riled up over something on our plates that represented a dead animal, or a greasy byproduct of a dead animal in the first place?:confused:

You're doing just fine, Kiddo..;)

Reactions: Emma JC
The great thing is that the longer you eat a whole food planted based diet with minimal oils added the sooner your blood sugar will normalize and hopefully no longer drop and spike. It was one of the most interesting things I learned was that Type II Diabetes is caused by fats in the cells and not by sugar. I used to work with the Canadian Diabetes Association and that is not a message they promote.

Emma JC

Nobody is perfect. Slip ups will happen, maybe even sometimes by necessity, but as long as you
get right back on track you will be fine.

I seem to slip up less and less as time goes on. The lack of enjoyment that I get, and the disappointment
I feel, from deviating motivates me to do continually do better.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou