Possible milk contamination in dark chocolate

Tom L.

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Strict vegetarian
I've heard that dark chocolate is quite often vegan, and of course, ingredient labels normally must list dairy products as an ingredient. But I came across this news item today:

Why The FDA Is Warning People About Dark Chocolate

An excerpt from the beginning of the article:

Allergic to milk, or know someone who is?A recent study by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) found that 59 percent of dark chocolate products in the U.S. contain trace amounts of milk.

And, you can’t always tell that’s the case simply by reading the food label.

“This can be a problem, since even one small bite of a product containing milk can cause a dangerous reaction in some individuals,” researcher Binaifer Bedford, M.S., an Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education fellow, said in an FDA statement.

I avoid dairy because of my concern for animals, not physical ill effects, so I wouldn't personally throw out chocolate and waste food because of possible contamination, but I'd wait until this gets sorted out before buying any.

Last edited:
Also, consider supporting chocolate manufacturers who only produce vegan chocolate.
The Britisch Plamill brand comes to my mind who are consequently vegan (and make great chocolate, albeit a bit costly).

Best regards,
Andy

Even companies that only make vegan chocolate sometimes have to rent the use of factories that also manufacture products with milk, especially when they are just starting out. I wouldn't stop eating their chocolate because of the warnings about trace ingredients. I'd rather support them and hopefully help them become successful enough to afford their own dedicated manufacturing plant.

Reactions: BronwynMendoza
So is it just an allergy concern or is it something vegans should be concerned with?

So is it just an allergy concern or is it something vegans should be concerned with?
Just an allergy concern, Daniel.

They are talking about accidental/incidental cross contamination at microscopic levels here. Not the inclusion of milk as as intentional ingredient in these products.

It's a similar thing to how nut allergy sufferers would be concerned about trace level contamination with nuts but the NLF* wouldn't be up in arms about it.

*NLF (Nut Liberation Front) Motto: If most people are nuts then most nuts must be people too.

I am so glad that I don't buy regular vegan chocolate then... I generally don't really trust foods made by large companies. This microscopic contamination thing is probably the norm.
I make my own vegan chocolate too. It's really easy when you know how.