Possible dangerous escalation of the war in Syria (2018)

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
After the chemical attack on the Syrian rebel-held town Douma on 7. April, it seems the US and its major allies (UK, France) are determined to respond militarily, probably with some kind of attack on the Syrian military forces. However, the Russian support of the Syrian Assad regime is not at all faltering, on the contrary, and they have warned very clearly against any such attack.

So it looks like there could be a confrontation between US + allies and Russia, which could be very dangerous, especially since the US has a president who seems not mentally fit and prone to rash, emotional decisions, and also because Russia has a president who is in many ways a star player, but is also playing a very dangerous game, and is under pressure due to sanctions and general conflict with western countries.

While I think the chemical attack was an atrocity and a war crime, I don't think a military response is necessarily the right coarse of action, or is going to do any good.

So suddenly Pence does not seem to be such a bad alternative any more, right?

Told y'all so.....

N.B.: So far, I have not seen any evidence that the poison gas was used by Assad...