Please assist

Dree

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello guys,
Help me find where to purchase supplements preferably from an online store. Where do you do your purchases? Please advice

Wow they have amazing staff there and good deals although am not sure if they have much focus on vegans.

I have a problem with taking B12, they make me feel irritable. This is, it seems, a problem for others too. I have just ordered some Vitamin B12 tablets - Sublingual Methylcobalamin from Cytoplan.co.uk. These are not available from Holland and Barrett. I haven't got them yet but will let this forum know how I get on with them. They dissolve under the tongue, might make a difference as they do not go into the stomach, or something like that. Apparently the Methyl bit is important (I think it refers to folic acid). Cytoplan seem to have a wide range of vitamins and minerals so worth a look.

Reactions: Dree
I have a problem with taking B12, they make me feel irritable. This is, it seems, a problem for others too. I have just ordered some Vitamin B12 tablets - Sublingual Methylcobalamin from Cytoplan.co.uk. These are not available from Holland and Barrett. I haven't got them yet but will let this forum know how I get on with them. They dissolve under the tongue, might make a difference as they do not go into the stomach, or something like that. Apparently the Methyl bit is important (I think it refers to folic acid). Cytoplan seem to have a wide range of vitamins and minerals so worth a look.
I also have the same problem with taking B12, Sally.
I have been referred to have a look at supplemented.co.uk. I am comparing their products and prices with Cytonplan and Holland and Barret.
Take a look and advice please.

I looked up "B12 makes me irritable" and found out, eventually, about the methyl that helps to absorb it in the body and that, hopefully, will combat the irritatability. Cytoplan was the only place I could find this combination. If you want to hold off, mine are in the post, and I will see how it goes, usually I only have to take it for two days and I get the reaction. I even get it if I take my Vegan vitamins for two days. I could only find a B complex on supplemented.co.uk.

Still waiting for my tablets. I have been checking what I eat and find that I get B12 in my Fruit and Fibre breakfast cereal; the Oatley milk I put on it; Pure Sunflower spread; Marmite; and whenever I eat the soya based meat products like veggiemince or Fry's chicken style nuggets, etc. Check your diet as B12 is in all these daily things and maybe taking supplements overloads the intake leading to the "grrrrr" reaction. I don't know for certain, I just wondered.

Maybe you should reduce the intake instead of doing away with the supplement. I still feel it is essential.

It says on the Vegan and Multivitamin tables I have that it includes 2.5mg of B12 which is 100% of the daily requirement. But on the link above Viva.org.uk say that you can also get B12 from, quote:

Product (and serving size)
B12 (micrograms)

Sosmix and Sosmix Country herb (175g sachet- around six sausages) 0.26
Marmite (typical 4g serving- enough for one slice of toast) 0.6
Meridian Yeast Extract (typical 4g serving - enough for one slice of toast) 2.0
Vecon vegetable stock (5g serving - one small teaspoonful) 0.65
Pure Soya and Pure Sunflower spread (typical 10g serving - enough for two pieces of toast) 0.5
Alpro soya milk with B12 (200ml glass) 1.0
Note that some of the organic versions of these products are not fortified with B12.

So if you are getting 1.5mg for some milk and spread, not to mention the fortified breakfast cereal, it seems possible that taking a full 2.5mg supplement on top of the, possibly 1.5 -2.0 or more mg that is coming through the food, might be overdoing it a bit. Surely it is better to get our vitamins from food. I think B12 needs it's own thread. Has it got one?

After a lot of visiting conversion tables, I have discovered that 500ug = 0.5 mg. So these Cytoplan Vitamin B12 really are a supplement and should not overload my system. Fingers crossed I won't get annoyed, I might even see some positive results.