Planting massive amts of trees to fix climate change?

Tomas

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Another rather interesting article I found about this that some might find interesting to read:

Thing here is that the Sahara desert already is a habitat for many animals and that one can not oversee the possible ramifications of such an undertaking at all. You can make estimates but what will this do to climates in the world, let alone Africa???

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Caveat: I first learned about this theory in college like a hundred years ago. It was theoretical then and I'm pretty sure it still is. We didn't know about climate change back then. What we did know about is mans potential to mess up.

But I think its fun to think about. Turning the Sahara into forest would just be a habitat restoration effort. Repairing one of Humanity's earliest mess ups.

Although this is just a theory there are some similar stories that are much more based on fact. and more recent.
Cannan was the land of milk and honey. Now it is mostly desert. Archeologists point out King David cut down great swaths of cedar to build his Temple. Clear-cutting forests destroys watersheds. No watersheds - no water for agriculture, Now the Israelis are reclaiming and reforesting great swaths of dessert.

Egypt may have had a similar history. The workforce to build the pyramids was huge and remained on site for centuries. Egypt must have been a rich and cultivated nation to support such an endeavor. But overproduction and soil depletion destroyed their farms. Think great big dust bowl. Now the pyramids sit in a desert.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Introduce Yourself 4