Planning for the worst

M

mlp

A thought which came to me in conjunction with the gun control discussion in the other thread, for those of you who are gun rights advocates because you anticipate having to defend yourselves with firearms from your own government, and for everyone else as well:

How many of you stockpile seeds of nonhybrid plants so that you will be prepared to grow your own food in case of a food shortage?

IMO, this is a much more likely scenario in my lifetime than a situation in which I would need firearms to protect myself from the government. Another year or two of weather like this year's, and food shortages will be a fact of life. It won't even require a disease hitting one of our major food crops. (For those who aren't aware - we rely on just a couple of strains of each of our major crops - strains that have been developed to maximize production. If a disease strikes any of those strains, we are in great trouble, because it would affect such a significant portion of our food production. We just don't have enough diversity to withstand such an event without major starvation.)

great. way to get me thinking. but, protecting those crops is mandatory as well. gun...................

good point honestly. water is going to be a serious one as well.

i really haven't had much time to Mad Max myself. sigh. i better gets to it.

Oh, yeah, if it comes to that, having a gun will be nice. Unfortunately, the yahoos trying to steal my produce will probably have guns too. At least I won't be the only one dead.

Oh, yeah, if it comes to that, having a gun will be nice. Unfortunately, the yahoos trying to steal my produce will probably have guns too. At least I won't be the only one dead.

yeah, i just see the stress currently people are under financially. if food/water become restrictive, people will misbehave.

I doubt that would be particularly viable here... if it came to that I'd probably have to live on cans or wildlife (...or people) until I got somewhere at least with more naturally occurring fresh water. That's assuming I even want to survive in whatever I expect to be left over after some large scale disaster.

A thought which came to me in conjunction with the gun control discussion in the other thread, for those of you who are gun rights advocates because you anticipate having to defend yourselves with firearms from your own government, and for everyone else as well:

How many of you stockpile seeds of nonhybrid plants so that you will be prepared to grow your own food in case of a food shortage?

Good point.

IMO, this is a much more likely scenario in my lifetime than a situation in which I would need firearms to protect myself from the government. Another year or two of weather like this year's, and food shortages will be a fact of life. It won't even require a disease hitting one of our major food crops. (For those who aren't aware - we rely on just a couple of strains of each of our major crops - strains that have been developed to maximize production. If a disease strikes any of those strains, we are in great trouble, because it would affect such a significant portion of our food production. We just don't have enough diversity to withstand such an event without major starvation.)

Would it surprise you if I said yes? :p

yeah, i just see the stress currently people are under financially. if food/water become restrictive, people will misbehave.

Of course they will. I don't know that I would have the will to keep myself alive and let others starve, though. I doubt that I could keep all my animals alive, and I don't have the incentive of having children. So, like K-II, I probably would decide that I don't want to survive a major catastrophe like that. Leave what resources there are left for others.

Would it surprise you if I said yes? :p

No. :D

Some seeds last for years, but others don't. I keep a rotating stock of seed for the garden, just have to to scrounge for whatever I don't have on hand. I try to limit my seeds to a one to two year supply.

No guns though.

IMO, this is a much more likely scenario in my lifetime than a situation in which I would need firearms to protect myself from the government.
Yeah, but talking about growing your food doesn't allow you to day-dream yourself into a John McClane like talking about guns does.

Some seeds last for years, but others don't. I keep a rotating stock of seed for the garden, just have to to scrounge for whatever I don't have on hand. I try to limit my seeds to a one to two year supply.

No guns though.

I rotate and even save some of my own seeds from year to year. A lot of em, especially heirlooms I buy and keep a number on hand and use and rotate them out as they get old. I'm doing some of my better carrot varieties this year (they're biannual plants), almost always save lettuce seeds as well. I keep several 6 gallon pails of wheat varieties (which are viable for a long time) which can pull double duty if I ran into a short term food problem which probably isn't likely as I already have at least 6+ months of dry goods saved up. If we're really talking the apocalypse and it came down to eating or starving, there are around 140,000 head of livestock vs 10,000 peep ratio where I live, not to mention wild game. I'd rather grow things though.