People laughing or angry-At Vegans

Limuray

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Everyday struggle-People laughing/being angry with you by being vegan

I find this so odd. The other day I had a lunch with about 40 of my coworkers. And this woman strarted commenting on my dietery choices. She told be how I will not be able to function today if I don't have the pig pattie and why on earth I am not having any animal product in my meal. I told her I was vegan and she became angry. Almost furious. Why? Why would you be furious about something like that? Why does it offend you? Why does it feel like a personal attack for her? And then all of my collegues started commenting, brainwashing me, laughing at me for being stupid. That veganism is propaganda. I was there...alone...being laughed at and seeing a lot of angry faces. Jesus, is that even possible that people are like this?? Then people started the same old stories of how we are carnivores, that I will become iron defficient or will have lack of protein...
At the same time one of my colleges eats only potatos or pasta with some kind of meat. No fruits or veggies whatsoever. He has dark circles under his eyes, never has energy..and nobody bats an eye!! He is one of the people asking me about my energy levels in a mocking way.
They ask me if I am sorry for the animals, I say of course, they laugh at me and tell me that they are made to be eaten, that it is supposed to be like this. A pregnant woman angrily tells me to stop this nonsense and to start eat like a normal person. How on earth am I supposed to fight off 40 people!!!?

Wow you know some really terrible people. I'm sorry. That's where that saying "never underestimate the danger of stupid people in large groups" comes from. What you're describing is bullying, where a group of people gang up on an individual for differing from any social norms.

You should go to your manager or human resources department and report the incident.

Wow you know some really terrible people. I'm sorry. That's where that saying "never underestimate the danger of stupid people in large groups" comes from. What you're describing is bullying, where a group of people gang up on an individual for differing from any social norms.

You should go to your manager or human resources department and report the incident.
HR were already there. I live in a country where bullying doesn't matter. I can only sit and listen, because they are not interested in facts and logic.
I remember one time I was with 3 of my aquaintances and they started mocking vegans about their dietery choices, how silly vegans were. And then I, a newbie vegan who didn't know how uneducated can people be, told them that being vegan doesn't only mean dietery choices, I told there were vegan shampoos and also shoes. They started laughing with their mouths open like toodlers, couldn't even breathe from laughter and asked if I am going to eat the shoe and drink the shampoo. I thought to myself that I never in my life want to be that ignorant like they were at that moment. I sometimes want to burst into tears not because people are mocking me, but because of the ignorance. And to think that 5 years ago I was the same ignorant and blind person!

HR were already there. I live in a country where bullying doesn't matter. I can only sit and listen, because they are not interested in facts and logic.
I remember one time I was with 3 of my aquaintances and they started mocking vegans about their dietery choices, how silly vegans were. And then I, a newbie vegan who didn't know how uneducated can people be, told them that being vegan doesn't only mean dietery choices, I told there were vegan shampoos and also shoes. They started laughing with their mouths open like toodlers, couldn't even breathe from laughter and asked if I am going to eat the shoe and drink the shampoo. I thought to myself that I never in my life want to be that ignorant like they were at that moment. I sometimes want to burst into tears not because people are mocking me, but because of the ignorance. And to think that 5 years ago I was the same ignorant and blind person!

I feel really, really bad for you and wish I could help you. Can you change jobs?

Reactions: TofuRobot

You need to armour yourself when you are bullied. In my former workplace nobody knew that I wasn't an omni and my answer to my choice of meal would have been '' because I like eating so and so'' and then change the subject.
There is no point in justifying your dietary choice when you know beforehand you will be mocked and bullied. Either stop eating with them or politely ask them to refrain from asking you silly questions that you in turn don't ask them. :)

I feel really, really bad for you and wish I could help you. Can you change jobs?
No, I really like my job and in other workplaces I would have the same situation (already had 2 different jobs before where being vegan was considered extreme, I was omni then). Outside of lunch these topics are not discussed.
Where I live being vegan is very rare, I've never met any vegan or vegetarian here.

You need to armour yourself when you are bullied. In my former workplace nobody knew that I wasn't an omni and my answer to my choice of meal would have been '' because I like eating so and so'' and then change the subject.
There is no point in justifying your dietary choice when you know beforehand you will be mocked and bullied. Either stop eating with them or politely ask them to refrain from asking you silly questions that you in turn don't ask them. :)
Once I had a conversation with a hunter about meat consumption and he was very against vegetarians and vegans and of course mocked me. I asked him why does he think we need to consume meat. He told me that he better not answer because he is not a nutritionist although seconds ago he told me how I lack iron and cannot live without meat. He didn't see any issue with his way of thinking.

One more interesting incident I had with this guy whom I told about my iron deficiency which I had since childhood. He went into a looong monologue about me being ignorant of my needs of my body. I let him finish the monologue and then told him that three months after being vegan I was not deficient anymore. I had the deficiency for ~20 years while eating meat. He said "you just got lucky and it has nothing to do with your weird diet". He just couldn't accept thid. But why? Why are people like this? Why was I like this? I also mocked vegans and asked them what would they do if they were on a stranded island.. I really don't remember why I didn't listen and got angry with vegans.

Once I had a conversation with a hunter about meat consumption and he was very against vegetarians and vegans and of course mocked me. I asked him why does he think we need to consume meat. He told me that he better not answer because he is not a nutritionist although seconds ago he told me how I lack iron and cannot live without meat. He didn't see any issue with his way of thinking.

One more interesting incident I had with this guy whom I told about my iron deficiency which I had since childhood. He went into a looong monologue about me being ignorant of my needs of my body. I let him finish the monologue and then told him that three months after being vegan I was not deficient anymore. I had the deficiency for ~20 years while eating meat. He said "you just got lucky and it has nothing to do with your weird diet". He just couldn't accept thid. But why? Why are people like this? Why was I like this? I also mocked vegans and asked them what would they do if they were on a stranded island.. I really don't remember why I didn't listen and got angry with vegans.

Hunters are in a world of their own and I certainly wouldn't mingle with them. However, if you want to have a social life and peaceful life at your work place you will have to change your way of thinking and responding to aggressive remarks. One suggestion is not to be open about health matters etc.

It's a positive step having joined a support forum such as VF. I'm sure that members will be able to give you all the necessary support and answers to some of your questions.

Hunters are in a world of their own and I certainly wouldn't mingle with them. However, if you want to have a social life and peaceful life at your work place you will have to change your way of thinking and responding to aggressive remarks. One suggestion is not to be open about health matters etc.

It's a positive step having joined a support forum such as VF. I'm sure that members will be able to give you all the necessary support and answers to some of your questions.
Yes, the health topic is the one I will not be engaging anymore, because it is making things worse. Actually none of the positive aspects of being vegan are good enough for even having a normal conversation with these people. That is very sad actually, I have to listen to their mockery about animal suffering and there is absolutely nothing I can do to at least let them think about it on a deeper level.

Yes, the health topic is the one I will not be engaging anymore, because it is making things worse. Actually none of the positive aspects of being vegan are good enough for even having a normal conversation with these people. That is very sad actually, I have to listen to their mockery about animal suffering and there is absolutely nothing I can do to at least let them think about it on a deeper level.

That is tough. Even, if you're not vegan, surely you can't be indifferent when animals suffer. :sweat:

One more thing I've noticed - I am never the first one to start these conversations. Nobody at work knew I was vegetarian for 2 years because I never talked about it. When I went vegan I still didn't talk about it. People just started noticing that I am not eating the cake on birthdays and at lunch when girls are talking about what they are having and what kinds of diets they are on, they saw that I have these unusual foods, for example sweet potato-chickpea soup with kale or rice noodles with eggplant and pak choi. Those were pretty simple to me, but where I live the usual meal is boiled potatoes with sour cream and a lot of meat. My meals stood out.
I don't try to justify my choices to them because I don't have to. But at least they could try to understand why the choice is being made or just leave me be.
Sorry for ranting.

@Limuray , very sorry to hear about all that!
May I ask which country you are living in?
Some places are more enlightened than others, but generally veganism has become more accepted in recent years. Hope that positive development also happens in the place where you live...

@Limuray , very sorry to hear about all that!
May I ask which country you are living in?
Some places are more enlightened than others, but generally veganism has become more accepted in recent years. Hope that positive development also happens in the place where you live...
I live in a post soviet country in a rural area where old traditions are still in place.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Andy_T
welcome to the forum, Limuray

Most of us are so lucky to live in circumstances that are not so challenging as yours and so I would ask you to remember, when you are sitting there seemingly all alone, that we are all there with you in spirit supporting you. I would suggest not reacting to their taunting, as much as you can, just smile quietly and eat your delicious food and feel sorry for them. Also, if there is an opportunity for you to make some extra for others to share, like rice and beans or something simple, then bring it along and offer for anyone to help themselves. If they taste it, they may stop their mocking.

good luck! Emma JC

Wow. I mean just wow! it's time for you to stand up and say This is not ok. You This is my choice, it has nothing to do with any of you, and I deserve human respect, the same as any of you all. period!

Throw in a comment about how your doctor is ordering this for you if it helps. just put your foot down. That kind of behavior is totally unacceptable.

I'm so sorry. 💔

EDIT for typos and autocorrect fixes. I was on my phone on a break from work and kinda PO'd about it all. I mean really - I'd be like, what the hell? What business is it of theirs anyway? Talk about hostile work environment. I probably would have left (before I said something NSFW), TBH.

Last edited:
also mocked vegans and asked them what would they do if they were on a stranded island.. I really don't remember why I didn't listen and got angry with vegans.
I don't remember a single time I mocked a vegan. Perhaps it was because I had a cousin (who was more like an uncle) who was vegetarian/vegan (I really don't remember) that I didn't see except for during Xmas when I was a kid. I always thought he was really cool - kind of a hippie from the 60s, long hair, peaceful demeanor. He would always bring us a huge container of gazpacho. I decided to quit eating "animals with legs" when I was 25 and for another 25 years I think I "wished I could" be vegan. I always admired vegans and used to say "I could never do that... I would miss cheese/fish/eggs, etc." I honestly believed we needed to eat those things to be healthy. It wasn't until I saw 'What the Health' that I realized how brainwashed we all were and I went vegan that day.

I hope that one day you can find another job and get out of that toxic environment. In the meantime, I will send you all the virtual power in the world to tell them all to flat-out stuff it and get back to work. I mean seriously - back the F off. What you do with your life is no one business if it's not hurting them. Maybe you can ask them how in the world they are being hurt so much that they feel the need to attack you? Say to them, you didn't realize you had so much power over them and how good it makes you feel to see them so upset. Maybe that will shut them up. (((((HUGS)))))

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I don't remember a single time I mocked a vegan. Perhaps it was because I had a cousin (who was more like an uncle) who was vegetarian/vegan (I really don't remember) that I didn't see except for during Xmas when I was a kid. I always thought he was really cool - kind of a hippie from the 60s, long hair, peaceful demeanor. He would always bring us a huge container of gazpacho. I decided to quit eating "animals with legs" when I was 25 and for another 25 years I think I "wished I could" be vegan. I always admired vegans and used to say "I could never do that... I would miss cheese/fish/eggs, etc." I honestly believed we needed to eat those things to be healthy. It wasn't until I saw 'What the Health' that I realized how brainwashed we all were and I went vegan that day.

I hope that one day you can find another job and get out of that toxic environment. In the meantime, I will send you all the virtual power in the world to tell them all to flat-out stuff it and get back to work. I mean seriously - back the F off. What you do with your life is no one business if it's not hurting them. Maybe you can ask them how in the world they are being hurt so much that they feel the need to attack you? Say to them, you didn't realize you had so much power over them and how good it makes you feel to see them so upset. Maybe that will shut them up. (((((HUGS)))))
Thank you for all the kind words. This helps a lot. And to know that there are people all over the world that stands by you gives such a powerful and warming feeling!

Nobody has said anything these few days, I think they just got bored and saw that I won't budge. But again remembered one more discussion where a person could not understand why I cannot eat a soup with meat in it. She asked why couldn't I just take the bits of meat out of the soup. I asked her if somebody made a soup from a dogs meat, whould she take the bits out and still eat the soup. She completely understood me and has never asked any vegan related question.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Thank you for all the kind words. This helps a lot. And to know that there are people all over the world that stands by you gives such a powerful and warming feeling!

Nobody has said anything these few days, I think they just got bored and saw that I won't budge.
But again remembered one more discussion where a person could not understand why I cannot eat a soup with meat in it. She asked why couldn't I just take the bits of meat out of the soup. I asked her if somebody made a soup from a dogs meat, would she take the bits out and still eat the soup. She completely understood me and has never asked any vegan related question.

If you don't take the bait, you'll be fine. They will leave you alone when they see that you stick to your guns. :p

Her question was quite legitimate and she was only being curious. There is a great difference between just not wanting to eat meat and finding it disgusting due to what it represents; a murdered animal who has suffered.

Reactions: Andy_T and Emma JC
I find this so odd. The other day I had a lunch with about 40 of my coworkers. And this woman strarted commenting on my dietery choices. She told be how I will not be able to function today if I don't have the pig pattie and why on earth I am not having any animal product in my meal. I told her I was vegan and she became angry. Almost furious. Why? Why would you be furious about something like that? Why does it offend you? Why does it feel like a personal attack for her? And then all of my collegues started commenting, brainwashing me, laughing at me for being stupid. That veganism is propaganda. I was there...alone...being laughed at and seeing a lot of angry faces. Jesus, is that even possible that people are like this?? Then people started the same old stories of how we are carnivores, that I will become iron defficient or will have lack of protein...
At the same time one of my colleges eats only potatos or pasta with some kind of meat. No fruits or veggies whatsoever. He has dark circles under his eyes, never has energy..and nobody bats an eye!! He is one of the people asking me about my energy levels in a mocking way.
They ask me if I am sorry for the animals, I say of course, they laugh at me and tell me that they are made to be eaten, that it is supposed to be like this. A pregnant woman angrily tells me to stop this nonsense and to start eat like a normal person. How on earth am I supposed to fight off 40 people!!!?
This is a big struggle for many people since we live in a society that associates veganism with a bunch of negatives. When the topic comes up I mention that I am eating "plant based". This avoids any of the preconceived labels and attacks associated with what people think of being vegan. If someone does make a comment it will help to remember a few quick responses that will make them ponder. If they still are treating you with disrespect or escalating to bullying then call the person a sore loser and walk away. If the group is ganging up just laugh with them and let the negative energy slowly get less and less by gradually changing the topic. Staying honest but not letting people treat me like a punching bag has been useful.