Pancake Day 2015 a.k.a. Fat Tuesday a.k.a. Shrove Tuesday

I will be having them for dinner:
I use the recipe from Veganomicon for Blueberry Corn Pancakes, but I don't have blueberries :). These are flat-ish pancakes, but they are delicious.

Blueberry Corn Pancakes

(makes 8 – 10 pancakes)
Veganomicon

Ingredients:

3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil (any mild tasting veg oil will do)
1 1/4 cup plain soy milk
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 cup fresh blueberries

Directions:
Preheat a large non-stick pan on medium high heat. Sift together, flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, combine all other ingredients. Add wet to dry, mix until just combined, then fold in the blueberries. Do not over mix or pancakes will be tough, a couple of lumps are OK.

Spray pan with cooking spray. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup or an ice cream scoop to pour out batter into pan. Cook pancakes until brown on bottom and bubbles form on top, about 4 minutes. Flip pancakes over with a thin spatula and cook until bottoms are brown and pancakes are barely firm to touch. Transfer to plates. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil to the pan as needed.

Actually, we didn't have pancakes after all :bag: I did my part to make it "Fat Tuesday" though, by eating two pieces of cake. (Leftover from my birthday yesterday.)

Reactions: KLS52
I can't figure out why I'm lukewarm with pancakes (except potato pancakes- NOM), but really like waffles. Too bad for me- waffles are more of a pain to make, what with needing a waffle iron and all.

My potato pancakes are for potato addicts only: wash and grate potatoes (as many as you want)- do not peel. Heat griddle and grease it with your fat of choice. Drop handfuls of grated potato on griddle; flatten and fry on low-medium heat on both sides until lightly browned.

I guess these are really more what you would call hash browns...

We had potato pancakes thanks to @IS! :). I would have missed Pancake Day otherwise. I made ones similar to these: VegNewsletter
1-1/2 pounds russet potatoes
1 small yellow onion
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Safflower oil, for frying
(Recipe on site, image from site. Mine were bigger and messier [emoji1] )
I added a little sirhacha, and moar parsley.

af7aae6b12b7b62feec786d80f9a010e.jpg

Reactions: Tom L. and PTree15
^^^ Yours were probably even better than the recipe. I was a little puzzled by their mention of warming the oven until I got to the end, where it said to keep them warm that way until they were all cooked.

I did not have pancakes today. Too busy this morning. I plan on making some this weekend, though. I'm wanting a Sunday brunch (I will have company as well, so this plan will work out nicely :D ).

Okay, I tried to make them and they seemed rubbery? Is it just that I'm used to the texture of american pancakes or did I do something wrong?

We had waffles for breakfast. I like them better than pancakes but use the exact same recipe for both so "technically" we had pancakes. :D

Reactions: PTree15
Okay, I tried to make them and they seemed rubbery? Is it just that I'm used to the texture of american pancakes or did I do something wrong?
I'm not sure what the texture should be like, but sometimes if you overmix certain batters, they can become rubbery upon cooking.

I made some. Husband jokingly said he wanted skittles in his, so I crushed up some skittles and cooked it into his pancakes. It was a big, sugary, amazing mess. I don't understand how they were actually tasty, but they were :p

I'm not sure what the texture should be like, but sometimes if you overmix certain batters, they can become rubbery upon cooking.
That could be it. There were lumps so I used the immersion blender on high.