Organic fruit and veg boxes

I've found my food bills have dropped since becoming strict vegetarian. Though I haven't quite settled into using any extra nutritional powders etc as of yet or know whether I actually need to, or which things to use so that might make a difference x

Lucky you ! I will have to work out what to do as I really can't afford to spend all this money on food.:(

I heard of veg boxes around here, but it's only for a couple months of the year, and there's no way to choose or specify what you want or don't like. Also no snacks or anything are included.

Same here. Usually they're only available in the summer. Some places will deliver but others require you to go pick it up. The prices are really high also since most of the things offered can be bought cheaper at produce stands or the farmer's markets.

I ordered one last year but sadly wound up letting half of it spoil before I could eat it all. It probably didn't help that a lot of stuff in the box was stuff I wouldn't normally eat (Really, what am I going to do with a huge bag of radishes?). I might give it another try though. I need to get out of my habit of cooking the same stuff every week. Some experimentation would be good for me.

In the future I'd like to have a local veg box if possible, but it would take a big change compared to how I cook now. Each week I pick specific meals and buy the fruit and veg needed for those, I always cook from specific recipes so I would need to be more flexible, although I do cook with a wide range of vegetables so at least that wouldn't be a problem. Also I'm allergic to most of the fruits you can grow in the UK so I'd probably want just vegetable one.

At the moment I just try to pick up as many things grown in the UK from co-op as I can, which is actually quite a few. With the others I try to pick the closest ones to home, although I'm not sure if that really helps at all! In the summer I also get fruit from a pick-your-own place down the road because it's much cheaper, and I can afford to get enough fruits to make jam (imagine making jam from shop-bought raspberries, it'd cost a small fortune!) and hopefully this year I'll get some vegetables from them too. I also grow my herbs and hopefully some vegetables and salad this year too.

Other people have bought from abel and cole for me before (because I think they sell vegan nut roasts and things?) and apparently they are very good in terms of delivery/etc. :)

I ordered one last year but sadly wound up letting half of it spoil before I could eat it all. It probably didn't help that a lot of stuff in the box was stuff I wouldn't normally eat (Really, what am I going to do with a huge bag of radishes?). I might give it another try though. I need to get out of my habit of cooking the same stuff every week. Some experimentation would be good for me.
When I used to get a share from a local organic farm, sometimes I would be like omg OKRA? Wth do I do with it and all these collard greens? There was no google then, so I would just look up the ingredient in a cookbook index to get ideas. Luckily my husband eats everything I cook because some of the experiments were not huge successes. :oops: I still can't eat okra. :shudders: