Organic fruit and veg boxes

AuburnLavender

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Does anybody order/buy/receive fruit and veg boxes? Are they a good idea? I hate the fact that I buy my fruit and veg from a supermarket, that they aren't local/regional and that they're not seasonal but I don't drive and there isn't a 'local' market I can get to easily. Are veg boxes a pain? I plan my family meals in advance and whilst I am a pretty flexible cook I'm not sure how I'd deal with receiving random veg each week. Anyone have any advice/opinions?

I get them. I love them. It's like getting a little surprise in the post every week :) The company I use have been quite frankly brilliant - they know what a vegan is and let you identify yourself as such, so that when they send you free sampler products you won't get any meat/dairy/eggs. And they send a lot of free samples :p I get stuff almost every week - extra potatoes, a lemon, a bulb of garlic, fresh bread, soymilk, a bottle of olive oil...

They also have a system where you log in online and rank every vegetable by love/like/dislike/skip. If you dislike it, they'll never send it, and if you skip it for a week they'll send you something else in its place. And they send you a little recipe guide each week, so you have ideas for meals. The one complaint I've ever had (a mouldy cauliflower) was resolved the instant I sent them an email about it.

I do realise I sound like I work for them :p I just really like getting my veg boxes.

Reactions: KLS52
Oh yeah I used to get one from years ok but I've moved a few times since then. Might give them another go :)

Personally I like to choose my own veg, but I like the idea of getting a huge box of suprise veg that may encourage you to try something different.

I heard of veg boxes around here, but it's only for a couple months of the year, and there's no way to choose or specify what you want or don't like. Also no snacks or anything are included.

Where do you live?
Tampa, Florida. There is a nice organic farm here that you can buy a share in, and you work a few hours and pay an amount, and you get a share of the harvests. I did it when my kids were young; they loved the farm and did more work than we were assigned. I realized reading this how much I missed getting a box of random veg. :D

ETA I just googled and there is one that delivers organic produce here! I have to find out details.

I was going to say I saw a company at veg fest. I want to use them, but I need more income first.

We get them overhere and they are usually delivered to a shop where you pick them up. They are called vegetables in a basket as they are placed into the latter. They only sell local produce but are very expensive and this is the
reason why I don't order them.
Have you worked out how much your box costs per kilo as prehaps you can buy it cheaper in an organic shop ?
I see that a lot of the produce comes from abroad on the abelandcole link. I think that the whole idea would be
to promote and help local producers.

Have you worked out how much your box costs per kilo as prehaps you can buy it cheaper in an organic shop ?
I see that a lot of the produce comes from abroad on the abelandcole link. I think that the whole idea would be
to promote and help local producers.

Yeah, it's cheaper to go to the shop, but I'm paying for the convenience. The nearest local organic shop is pretty far away. Plus, this way, I get to only do a big shop once every two-three weeks when we run out of cupboard staples, because all my perishables are delivered weekly. If I pop into a shop once a week to buy veggies, I end up impulse buying and spending more.

And yes, some of their produce is from abroad. But if I buy bananas, they're gonna be from abroad whether I buy them from a shop or get them in a vegbox. They use British produce when it's available, and they only use boats (no planes) so they cut their carbon footprint. Good enough for me.

Yeah, it's cheaper to go to the shop, but I'm paying for the convenience. The nearest local organic shop is pretty far away. Plus, this way, I get to only do a big shop once every two-three weeks when we run out of cupboard staples, because all my perishables are delivered weekly. If I pop into a shop once a week to buy veggies, I end up impulse buying and spending more.

And yes, some of their produce is from abroad. But if I buy bananas, they're gonna be from abroad whether I buy them from a shop or get them in a vegbox. They use British produce when it's available, and they only use boats (no planes) so they cut their carbon footprint. Good enough for me.

I buy my fresh produce once or twice a week as I always stock up with frozen vegetables too.

I was checking my grocery bills this morning. They are too high despite the fact that I go to discount stores and
basically cook from scratch. All my cereals, grains and flour are organic and everything else non organic. I wish that I could cut down on the food bills !:confused: Since I've become a veg* my bills have soared.

It actually works out cheaper for me to do it this way if I factor in cost of buses/taxis/transport :) we don't have a local enough market or organic shop to make it worth the extra cost i would spend.

I'm going to have to adjust my shopping day however! A minor thing when I can get fresh organic fruit/veg! Plus I've been having a look at their free from products and there's a few things I'm interested in trying! :)

I buy my fresh produce once or twice a week as I always stock up with frozen vegetables too.

I was checking my grocery bills this morning. They are too high despite the fact that I go to discount stores and
basically cook from scratch. All my cereals, grains and flour are organic and everything else non organic. I wish that I could cut down on the food bills !:confused: Since I've become a veg* my bills have soared.

I've found my food bills have dropped since becoming strict vegetarian. Though I haven't quite settled into using any extra nutritional powders etc as of yet or know whether I actually need to, or which things to use so that might make a difference x