Oregon farmer eaten by his pigs

Muggle

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Authorities are investigating how a farmer in the US state of Oregon was devoured by his pigs.

Terry Vance Garner, 70, went to feed his animals last Wednesday on his farm by the coast, but never returned.

His dentures and pieces of his body were found by a family member in the pig enclosure, but the rest of his remains had been consumed.

The Coos County district attorney's office said that one of the animals had previously been aggressive with Garner.

But investigators have not ruled out the possibility that the farmer could have suffered a medical emergency, such as a heart attack.

The animals are estimated by the authorities to weigh 700lb (320kg).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19796224

There's probably better news websites from the USA about this story but I can't be bothered to find them.

Is it really bad that when I saw the headline I laughed? The people sitting either side of me (who do eat meat) also laughed.

When I was growing up (on a farm) my Dad told me that he knew another farmer who had suffered a similar fate. They found just his head. I'm not sure that story was based on reality or was fabricated to keep me out of the pig's pen. Those pigs will eat anything.

When I was growing up, I knew some people who would raise and butcher two pigs each year. They would often tell me about assorted things the pigs would eat. (Scrap wood, chickens, etc.)

Reminds me of Hannibal... In the book it was pigs that were specially bred for size and viciousness, super creepy.

Are they actually able to eat bones? Human bones are a lot bigger and stronger than a chickens.

I have always heard a good way to get rid of a body is find a hog farm. I am just saying.

Yeah I also find this creepy. I've always found pigs that size scary.

And some people claim that animals aren't intelligent creatures? These pigs knew exactly what they were doing.

His brother "described him as a "good-hearted guy".
He said his brother had raised several large adult sows and a boar called Teddy, and they would sell their piglets to local children."

The man sold their babies. They wanted revenge.

Is it dangerous to have pet pigs? o.e Probably no more dangerous than a dog, though?

Is it dangerous to have pet pigs? o.e Probably no more dangerous than a dog, though?

A lot of it depends on how they are treated, just like most animals.

Somewhere I have a picture of me rubbing the belly of an 800lb pig. The one I take care of now is only about 200lbs, but he is bigger than me. I occasionally hand feed him lettuce and cucumbers. Sadly, he runs away when I try to pet him.

I'm wondering what they are going to do with the pigs now. Their bodies will be made up partly from the proteins and fat etc of that farmer.

remember the old gangsta in Snatch?
he had him some pigs.

yeah, I started off watching that film, and not far in the gangsters started getting rid of a body that way, and I switched it off......I wanted to watch it because I liked lock stock and two smoking barrels, but it wasn't the same type of film at all, from what I saw.

it's a pretty gnarly film, but oh so good. i liked it better than LS&2SB. :p
it's been a long time since i last saw it and i can't remember if they actually showed the pigs eating or if the old man was just describing it.
need to watch it again soon.

it's a pretty gnarly film, but oh so good.

It's definitely different. I didn't like it though. I needed a translator in order to understand what they (particularly Brad Pitt) were saying throughout the entire movie. I couldn't understand a damn word they said. I don't remember the pig scene. Maybe I mentally blocked it out because it's not something I'd like to remember!